Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 26th, 2014 09:00

Latitude E6440 WiFi is not connecting automatically

I have a Latitude E6440 that will not automatically connect to wifi using the default settings. I must open the Dell Unified Wireless Application and manually check the "enable wireless radio" box before the system connects. Once that is done the system automatically connects between wired connections and the wifi network like it should. If the laptop is rebooted or shut off and then restarted, the auto connect feature doesn't work and you have to manually set it again. Let me provide a little background for you....we normally blow away the "dell image" of Windows 7 Professional and apply our own Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. That is when the problem starts. I have been unable to get the E6440's to auto connect between our wired and wireless networks unless I perform the above mentioned steps. None of our E6420 laptop exhibit this behavior and auto connects properly. It seems that Dell has removed the "disconnect on wired connection" setting in the Wifi driver like it's set up on the E6420's and added that feature to a new "Dell Unified Wireless Application" instead. I tried taking the corporate Windows 7 Enterprise image out of mix by manually installing Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and then installing all the appropriate Dell drivers using the "How to download and Install drivers in the correct order" documentation. I get the same results. The system will not automatically connect and disconnect between wired and wireless networks until I manually set the enable wireless radio" check box. If I use the "dell image" from the recovery partition, the wireless network auto connects just fine. So that tells me that Dell is applying some configuration setting or registry entry that I'm not aware of. Any suggestions? Regards, Mike Berrey Grass Valley USA, LLC IT Desktop Support

3 Posts

April 24th, 2014 11:00

We have had the wireless switch fail on some of our E6440s so you might want to look into that.

4 Posts

May 19th, 2014 14:00

Thanks for the reply. These are brand new systems right out of the box and imaged with our image and not Dell's image. The hardware itself is fine since it's brand new. It's just that the "disconnect on wired connect" feature inside the Dell Unified Wifi Application won't stay "checked". I have submitted a request for Dell to provide a solution but they have not yet been successful. Regards, Mike

1 Message

December 15th, 2014 07:00

Even though your hardware is brand new, it does not mean it could have issues. I've pulled E6430 and E6440 laptops brand new out of the box with bad motherboards, daughter boards, hdd's and other random issues. If you haven't already ran Dell diagnostics, you should do so just to rule that out completely. Assuming that something is in perfect working order because it is new out of the box is always the best route to go. Also, if you're only downloading the drivers for that specific service tag, you should change the search to the model so you can find all drivers for the laptop. You may find that the driver you need was not even listed for that specific service tag.

I hope this helps.

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

March 31st, 2015 11:00

How do I open the "Dell Unified Wireless Application"? I can't find it anywhere.

34 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 19:00

Why there are too many people get this trouble? I have the same prob and my solution is :

1. Remove olde driver

2. reinstall new one form Dell

Enjoy! My be it because your wifi modem has problem, not Dell ^^

Create navigation stylish bar by magento mega menu extension to make e-commerce Create navigation stylis wesite is more beautiful. with facebook, twitter and other social network magento store location extension we willshow all your real store on google map now. magento social login extension to facebook, twitter and other social network

14 Posts

April 3rd, 2015 09:00

Can you return it and get a replacement? Sometimes parts are faulty. They are more so these days with things being Made in China and quality control not what it used to be.

No Events found!