Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 12th, 2014 08:00

Latitude E6540 wifi connectivity issues

I just bought a brand new Latitude E6540 and I've already discovered an issue with it. The behavior is as follows: It connects to my wifi no problem and works fine for a while and then without any warning, none of the links I click on in my browser load and eventually Internet Explorer 11 displays a page that says "You’re not connected to a network" check connection problems. I'm less than 15 feet from my router and the taskbar radio signal icon indicates no problems. When I hover the mouse over the signal strength icon, it says "Internet access" yet my signal is gone. I know this is not an ie 11 browser issue because when this happens, my ms outlook is also unable to receive mail and says not connected so its something with the wifi connection between the laptop and the router. When I reboot the machine, it fixes the problem temporarily. Turning the wifi off and on seems to correct the problem temporarily as well. Has anyone else seen this? Ed

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 12th, 2014 22:00

Hi bolbol,

I would suggest you to reinstall the wireless card on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS and then download the wireless card driver from Network section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

2 Posts

May 13th, 2014 03:00

Dear Ravi, Per your suggestion, I downloaded and reinstalled the wireless adapter drivers which also included Intel PROSet/WiFi. It uninstalled and reinstalled the new drivers. However, it did not fix the problem. My connection just dropped out again in the middle of browsing. At this point, I think I will return this laptop. I do not have the time nor the energy to troubleshoot a brand new out of the box product that I just paid $1,700+. Too unreliable. Before this, I had a $400 Toshiba laptop that never gave me any problems. Just goes to show more money does not guarantee better performance. Thank you so much for your help. Best regards, Ed

7 Posts

May 14th, 2014 20:00

I have encountered a weird WiFi problem since Tuesday (maybe related to Windows Updates?) with TWO (so far) E6540 systems, using the Intel Centrino Advanced-n 6235 adapter.  In each case, the wireless connection began dropping inexplicably, and trying to upgrade the driver from the latest Dell Support download caused the device to go into "other devices" in the Device Manager view.  No attempt at Uninstall / Redetect , explicit driver extract / install,  Update Driver, or "Search Windows Update for Drivers?" has brought  the device back to life.

I spent one hour and twenty-two minutes in a remote support session with Dell yesterday, and the tech was baffled enough to even (briefly) assert that this system was not ORDERED with a wi-fi adapter, even though it was part of a batch of 22 identical systems (all with the same config), and had been WORKING until yesterday.  

He eventually went to an Intel OEM site, pulled down a Win 7 64-bit N 6235  driver that DID seem to install & return the module to "life".  I have been unable to successfully duplicate this feat with the second system today, and fear a BUNCH of issues with the remaining twenty systems as well.

We have a campus / enterprise-level (Aruba AP-135 - $1,100 a pop!)  access point network - BIG buck, robust antennas that  are usually NOT the "weak link" in a connection.

I do not have an answer to the problem, but wanted to post this info so others might find out that they are not the only people who suddenly encountered this issue.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 16th, 2014 12:00

Hi bolbol,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS and wireless card driver in sequence on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and wireless card driver from Network section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, I’d suggest that you to change the Advanced card properties of the wireless card and check for issue resolution. Please follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Open ‘Device Manager’ by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type ‘Device Manager’, and then, in the list of results, click ‘Device Manager’.
  2. When the device manager pops up, in the list please check for ‘Network adapter’.
  3. Please click on the arrow mark beside ‘Network adapter’.
  4. You will find the wireless network card available on your computer.
  5. Right click on Wireless card and select ‘Properties’.
  6. Next click on ‘Advanced tab’.
  7. Change Roaming Aggressiveness to maximum.
  8. Change the wireless channels in the ‘advanced card properties’ to 11 or 6 and Disable Bluetooth Collaboration.

Please let me know if this helps.

1 Message

July 19th, 2014 02:00

Hi All,

Same thing with my system e6540, I have tried avery possible way I know to fix this problem without success

While this computer started loosing connectivity, it knocked down my home wireless network, had to reboot the router, the same thing happened in another wireless network, everybody started to loose wifi connection.

I hope to see how every one else is doing to fix this problem

1 Message

July 22nd, 2014 07:00

hi. 

i dont know if you have noticed that dell has a good tendency of connecting to two networks at the same time, so always, whenever you connect your rj45 make sure that your wifi is disabled and make sure that you do not 'tick' the connect automatically option.

if you get the problem again, 

go to cmd and type ' ipconfig renew ' then restart your computer after 

No Events found!