Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2011 11:00

Lightning has broken my Netywork Interface Card

I have a Dimension 2400 series desktop purchased in December 2003.

A lightning storm has broken the Network Interface Card, according to my internet provider.

I cannot find which NIC I need to purchase. Could someone please give me the information I need to buy a replacement?

Thanks in advance for any help - I'm not computer savvy :)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 5th, 2011 11:00

HoneybeeNC,

First power off your isp modem/router and your wireless router(if any) for 30 seconds. Power on the isp modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router(if any)

Restart your computer.

Can you connect?

If not, then go to Dell Warranty Status enter your service tag number, click on prigional configuration. There you'll see what was installed on the computer when you purchased it.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 5th, 2011 12:00

HoneybeeNC,

When I had my first desktop, I had to purchase the ethernet adapter to install on my computer. Go to a local electronic shop and tell the preson you want to install one. You'll have to remember that if you evey have to reinstall the system. Works justa good and cost is reasonable and you can get it immediately. Install the software and drivers first, shut wown the computer. Unplug the computer from the wall. Remove the slot in back of the computer and put in the new card. Plug back in and power on and since the electric cord was removed from the wall, it will look for new hardware, find the adapter and install the drivers you put in and should work.

Rick

2 Posts

September 5th, 2011 12:00

I have restarted that computer several times, but cannot connect to the internet. I have the original packing slip, but the NIC card is not stated on it. Maybe it's called something else on the packing slip? It does list an intergrated 10/100 ethernet  - is that it? If so, DELL does not recognize the item number.

I also entered the service tag, as suggested, but the original configuration list does not mention a NIC.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

September 5th, 2011 14:00

I have restarted that computer several times, but cannot connect to the internet. I have the original packing slip, but the NIC card is not stated on it. Maybe it's called something else on the packing slip? It does list an intergrated 10/100 ethernet  - is that it? If so, DELL does not recognize the item number.

I also entered the service tag, as suggested, but the original configuration list does not mention a NIC.

I had the network card on my laptop zapped by lighting and the router port with it - I use a router as a switch.

Anyway, instead of buying a NIC, you might want to consider buying a USB network adapter. No opening of your PC's case required. I just bought a Gigabit Ethernet USB adapter for the laptop with the zapped NIC port from a USA seller  on eBay. Works beautifully.

No Events found!