Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2006 12:00

Limited or no connectivity issue here!

Hello Gang!!
Heres the scoop on my system! I just installed a new Hard drive and reinstalled Win XP Home which brings me to this problem! I have had it before as well long ago and can't remember the fix!
Right now my system is fairly clean in the way of programs as (like I said) I just installed a new hard drive. The problem is that after I set up a PPPOE Broadband high speed DSL connection with my internet service provider I notice in the taskbar "two" active modem symbols. One has a yellow exclamation mark through it meaning "Limited or no connectivity". I can get rid of it from my taskbar by choosing it's "Properties" and unchecking the "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity" box but that seems to really just be kind of hiding the issue! What is this error message really telling me? I don't understand what "Limited or no connectivity" means? I am able to use the internet with no problems and connecting to my provider is no problem either so what is that telling me??
When I look at my Network Connections I have my service providers account being listed under "Broadband" and the two accounts under the "LAN or High Speed Internet" which are 1. "a 1394 connection which is disabled" and 2 "a Local Area Connection" which is the one giving the error!
Any help gang?

Dell 4700c,Pentium 4,3.00 gigahertz, 512 MB RAM,
Win XP Home, TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C(CD-ROM drive). High
Speed D-Link ADSL modem MODEL#DSL-300G
Norton Anti Virus 2004, Spybot, AdAware.

Message Edited by The George on 11-12-200608:16 AM

14.4K Posts

November 12th, 2006 13:00

try right clicking on the LAN connection and select disable...
If all is well the error will dissapear...

4.8K Posts

November 12th, 2006 17:00

The George,

The error "Limited or no connectivity" usually means that your computer detects a physical network connection (your DSL connection), but it is not getting an IP address from your DSL modem.  Try configuring your DSL modem for DHCP instead of PPPoE.

Be sure that TCP/IP in Network Properties is set to "Obtain IP address automatically".  This is becoming more common with DSL connections.  Check with your ISP for more info on configuring your system.

Steve

141 Posts

November 12th, 2006 18:00

When I disable that LAN Connection my connection to my internet service provider is dropped! I think that the reply from "Big Brother" may be the way to go if I only knew how to do it!
Geo

Message Edited by The George on 11-12-200602:57 PM

4.8K Posts

November 12th, 2006 19:00

The George,

The correct solution may be different for different ISP's.  The best thing to do is contact your ISP for support. 

Steve

141 Posts

November 13th, 2006 01:00

I will work on it! It seems that there can be many reasons for this problem!
Oh well
George

141 Posts

November 13th, 2006 11:00

I will call them today and we will see what they have to say.
George

Dell 4700c,Pentium 4,3.00 gigahertz, 512 MB RAM,
Win XP Home, TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C(CD-ROM drive). High
Speed D-Link ADSL modem MODEL#DSL-300G
Norton Anti Virus 2004, Spybot, AdAware.

4.8K Posts

November 13th, 2006 11:00

The George,

There are actually only a few reasons for this problem.  They are related to how your internet connection needs to be set up.  Different ISP's can have different requirements for how you have to set up your connection.  This is why it is best to contact your ISP.

Steve

141 Posts

November 13th, 2006 12:00

Yahoo!!!!!!

I posted my question on a different forum and finally got the problem fixed!!! Below is the reply I received that fixed it all for me!

The Local Area Connection represents the link between you and your DSL modem. The WAN Miniport (PPPoE) one represents dialling the DSL connection to your ISP. You need both connections, but the Local Area Connection one doesn't need any particular IP address.

The limited or no connectivity message pops up when a connection is set to use DHCP to get an address, but there's no DHCP server (like in your case, when there's just a modem plugged in).

What you need to do is right-click | Properties on the Local Area Connection icon, double-click TCP/IP, and manually set an IP address (the exact setting is irrelevant, as long as it's a private IP address). Using an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 should do. Leave the default gateway blank.

1 Message

November 17th, 2006 04:00

hi,

what did you use for the dns server part in the properties tab? when i force it to use a particular ip address it also forces me to use a particular ip address.

arvind

141 Posts

November 17th, 2006 15:00

My DNS server entries are blank. There is nothing in them at all.

1 Message

April 30th, 2007 11:00

I can access all the webpages I usually do access, *except* my online banking (Yorkshire Bank)... I can access it with limited usage at work, where they use Internet Explorer 6. I use Internet Explorer 7. However, when I checked my Device Manager, under Network Adapters, the Ethernet connection *and* WAN Miniport (IP) - Freedom Miniport both showed exclamation marks, pointing to an issue. I downloaded a new version of the Ethernet adapter (Realtek RTL8139), which re-enabled my Internet connectivity, but the WAN Miniport is still an issue... whether this is the issue preventing me accessing my online banking, I'm not sure.

Can anyone suggest how to renable (or download from?) this WAN Miniport (IP)?

Plus, also within Device Manager, under Radialpoint Devices, there is an exclamation mark against Radialpoint Filter... is this part of the same issue? If so, can anyone help?
No Events found!