Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

July 11th, 2010 16:00

Linksys Router

I am currently using a Linksys Router with an older Dell Dimension. This router is an Wireless-N Gigabit Router. I also use a cable modem.  This coming weekend I will be retiring the Dimension and replacing it with a XPS 8100 desktop. I set up my network several years ago and have forgotten some of the procedure.  My question is---- is the router plug and play? I do not want to use the Linksys software program to control my network, but want to let windows control it. I know how to use the routers IP address to set it up. Is that all I need to do?

Also how do I know if my printer-a wireless  Epson Artisan 800, will use the N-network mode or is safer/simpler to use the mixed network mode?   Most of my hardware is fairly new. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 12th, 2010 11:00

Annie,

If the wireless N router is NOT a dual band, then you'll need to change the settings in the wireless N router to use the b/g network, defeating the purpose of using the wireless N network.

Your printer has a wireless b/g card in it. Also computers you have with a wreless a/b/g card in it will not be able to connect to the wireless N router unless you change the settings.

Use a new SSID, these are the preferred settings for the wireless G network to allow printer to communicate. Recommended Wireless Router Settings

I know you'll have more questions, you know how to find me! :emotion-5:

Rick, from across the river

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

July 13th, 2010 09:00

Hi Rick, Thanks for answering.  I did not receive an email from the forum showing an answer but decided to check back to the orginal message. 

I did have a copy of your Recommended Wireless Router Settings.  I saw your recommendations from something you had posted quite some time ago and saved these recommendations.  Currently I am using WPA2 Personal. Is this OK or should I select WPA?

Can You define Password? Is it the password that you use to bring up the router settings or it is the passphrase you enter to connect your computers to the network?  (You state "password at least 13 characters long.")

Yes, I am sure I will have a few more questions when I set up my new XPS 8100.

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

July 13th, 2010 09:00

My question is---- is the router plug and play? I do not want to use the Linksys software program to control my network, but want to let windows control it. I know how to use the routers IP address to set it up. Is that all I need to do?

Rick, Is there a quick answer to this question?  Annie

(We had rain on this side of the river!!!!!!!!)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 14th, 2010 14:00

Annie,

Much rain here, too.

I would select WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal) I don't know if your wireles printer will work with WPA2 Security.

Password can be a conbination of characters and numbers. (Example 1: Annie0123456789  Example 2: Annielovesyou ) No spaces allowed. WPA likes a password that's 13 characters long. It also makes it hard to crack, not that you have neighbors that are hackers.

If you attache the Dell XPS 8100 with the ethernet cable and startup the computer, it should connect immediately to the network. If you have a wireless card installed it should also work on the network. Your wireless printer, needs setup after you make the changes to the wireless router. Make sure to use channel 11. When setting up the printer for the desktop(connected with ethernet cable) you install the printer, choose network and follow the instructions. Since the desktop is plugged in to the wireless router, you will be able to send the print job to the wireless printer with no problems.

Wall > isp modem/router > wireless router > wired/wireless

You do NOT have to install the Linksys software to connect. I have the Linksys Advisor attached only to my computer, so I can see who's online. Of course, I used to be the only person that knew the password to the network, but I have shared this information to the family.

Sun trying to come out but sump pump running a lot.

Rick

btw, the email notifications is down. I have not gotten an email since 7/12 8:38AM except right now. I just received an email at 7/14 444PM EST.

14.4K Posts

July 16th, 2010 17:00

The router is like you say plug and play and you will not need to run the software. just plug in the computer with it off and when you fire it up it will pull an ip address from the router

If your Epson is like mine it will be wireless G so in your router set your mode to mixed. you will need to set your security to the level of the lowest device, Which you might find will be the printer. My workforce 600 is G and will only do WPA while i prefer to use WPA2, WPA will will get the job done. Just make sure you use a strong password with a mix of characters, like letters, numbers upper case, symbols..

I am an old time Linksys router user so any questions feel free to ask.

14.4K Posts

July 16th, 2010 17:00

this is from the specs for your printer from the web site

Connectivity

• Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, compatible with 802.11 n, Ethernet – 10/100, Hi-Speed USB 2.0, PictBridge, Bluetooth (optional)

Looks like it is compatible with N what ever that really means.. in Epson speak :emotion-4:

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

July 16th, 2010 18:00

Rick, I am connected thanks to your guides and answers to my questions.  I am connected using WPA2 Personal in mixed mode.  Everything seems to work--especially the wireless printer. I ma getting used to Windows 7. There have been a few glitches however over all the setup went well.  Thanks for all the help Rick

Did you feel the earthquake?  Annie

14.4K Posts

Annie

Your printer will only go up to WPA for security level. It will also use either TKIP or AES key coding methods. Here AES is a hight level than TKIP but either will definatly get the job done.

Unless your are running a Dual band router you will need to set your overall wireless security to that of the client with the lowest level. So if the printer is the lowest level on a single band router you will need to set the overall security settings to WAP and I would recommend AES .

Now it your are using a dual band router you can set up the router to provide higher level security the the higher clients on one band and the lower level client on the other band.

For example I am running a linksys WRT610N dual band router. this provides a 5 gig and 2.4 gig band set up. I have my laptop set to use the 5 gig band on WPA2 AES security and both of my printers and my wifes laptop on the 2.4 gig band using WPA AES as both printers have this as the highest level they offer.

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

Davet50,  Thank you for the reply.  I am using WPA2. Can you explain why you prefer this setting over WPA?  I also have selected mixed mode.  I can try N- and see if the printer still works. I will let you know.  Annie

14.4K Posts

July 16th, 2010 19:00

I just has to do with the security level tiers, which are from lowest to highest

None, WEP , WPA,  WPA2.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 17th, 2010 03:00

Annie,

You're in good hands with Dave. He'll help you through anything with the Linksys you need. My working weekend, so my responses are slow.

What Earthquake, when? Was I that tired I slept through it?

Like Dave said, AES is faster but your printer needs to be able to use that type of security.

Take care, everyone.

Rick

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

July 17th, 2010 04:00

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

July 17th, 2010 04:00

Rick, The earthquake was described on the national news last evening. It occurred early morning near Germantown, above D.C.  It was a 3.5 and I thought it was thunder.

Davet50, I will respond later to all your information. I want to try a few things out first.  My Linksys Router is a WRT310N Ultra Range Plus. I can't find anything on the box that says it is a dual.

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

July 18th, 2010 06:00

Davet50, I tried to set the network mode to N and that is when I discovered the Epson Printer Artisan 800 would not print. I also couldnot connect to the internet.  I had to connect my wireless router(WRT310N-Linksys) directlyto my computer with a RJ45 cable to get back into the wireless settings. So it looks like I will be sticking to Mixed Mode with WPA2 Personal security mode. Thanks davet50 for all your input. I wish I knew more and understood more about networking.

I am trying to get used to this new system and learn how to use it all. Does anyone know what the battery icon is? It is a small icon near the clock and when I mouse over it it says fully charged. When I open this icon it says "fully charged. SELECT A POWER Plan Dell or Power saver." Isn't this for a laptop?  I have a XPS 8100 desktop. Is there a battery somewhere that I do not know about?  I do not have a wireless keyboard or mouse.

14.4K Posts

July 18th, 2010 07:00

Annie

If your equipment is not all "N" capable then you would need to leave the mode to mixed. This will allow the devices to connect to the router in their native modes. So if your laptop is only G capable then it will connect at G speeds, the same may or may not hold for the printer as I mentioned earlier the specs are bit confusing.

No Events found!