Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2003 13:00

Linksys speed question

I have used a Linksys 4port wired router for my home network for about two years with no problems.  I now am looking at purchasing a Wireless router and notebook card to add my laptop to the network.

I have looked at Liknsys 802.11b and 802.11g systems.  The "g" is suppose to be 5 times faster than the "b".  Some people have told me it isn't necessary to purchase the "g" because my DSL service is actually "slower" than the speed of the "b" router thus the additional speed of the "g" would be a waste.

I would appreciate any feedback regarding this issue.  Additionally, any pro's or con's on the linksys wireless router would be helpful.

Thanks for the info.  My "some people" was a sales person at Best Buy.  I can save some $ by going with the less expensive equipment.

795 Posts

fharris2519,

Your "some people" are correct.  Your DSL service runs at best 1.5Mbps.  802.11b has nominal speed of 11Mbps, but a practical speed of about 5Mbps.  802.11g has a nominal speed of 54Mbps, but a practical speed of about 25Mbps.  So the slowest speed is the DSL and that's the speed you will surf the internet at, except for the last few feet in your home.  54g speeds are helpful if you anticipate heavy LAN traffic between your PCs for file sharing or gaming.  Otherwise it has little use.

October 30th, 2003 21:00

All I could tell you is that I was reading an article
on TechTv the ScreenSavers and the way I understand
is that the difference is that the G part is faster for file transfer within your network, If I was you I would wait until the 5ghz wireless routers go down in prices as the 5ghz will not interfere with microwaves and the 2.4ghz
phones within your home. Go do a search on
www.techtv.com under TV show screensavers for 802.11

Hope this helps.

Robert Carbonell
Dell Dimension 8100
P4 1.3ghz with 1gig of memory
4port router

28 Posts

October 31st, 2003 15:00

802.11b/g routers and wireless cards are cheap today there's no reason not to get one unless there's possible inteference issues like robcarbonell said. I run a Linksys 802.11b router at home with my Inspiron 8500's onboard Truemobile 1300 b/g and they work brilliantly (quite the opposite to the horrific connectivity problems that many on this board have with this combination). While I have another laptop that's wired to the router (FTP and wireless Print Server) I don't actually move any files between the two computers when I am at home, I've setup the FTP server as a remote storage for me to do backup/retrieval when I'm travelling abroad. When I do need to copy (large) files across the network I would simply plug in to the router and do them at 100 Mbps! Sure beats 802.11b's 54mbps.

October 31st, 2003 21:00

I just want to add this, with regard to the A standard, it's correct that there's less interference, however, the distance would go down to 75 feet max and linksys doesn't have firmware upgrades for "A" routers. So when you have a problem with it, it's just gonna be really HARD to make it work again.

No Events found!