Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 13th, 2007 16:00

Losing connection

Hi! I have a Dimension 9150. I having problem with the USB-ports. I have two diffrent Wireless USB network adapaters (I'm not using them both), the problem is that the USB-port "dies" after avail, and I'm losning the netwok connection. I'm need to take the USB network adapter out, and put it in again, and if I'm lucky it's start working again. Else I need to put the USB network adapter in a nother USB-port, and installt it there, and it will work for avail before the USB-port "dies". It's the same problem with booth my USB network adapters. I have another PC, there they works, no problems at all. On my Dimension 9150 I'm runnig Windows Vista ultimate, and on my other pc I'm runnign Windows XP Professional (have also run Windows Vista Home Basic, with no problems with the USB network Adapters). On fo the he USB networks adapteras (D-link) have the logo "Works with Windows Vista". The other one is a Zyxel. I also have tryed to put in a USB 2.0 PCI card, but it's still is the same problem. In windows I have sett the USB-ports to not go in to engergy saving. And in Windows Vista, the USB network adapters also are set to not go in to any energy saving. I have all the latest Dell updates from "Dell Support download page" for my Dimension 9150.

Message Edited by mankan on 06-13-2007 07:37 PM

18 Posts

June 13th, 2007 18:00

In Alaska, USB network connections aren't supported by any of the Internet Service Providers here.  Does yours support USB connections? 

Even though your USB connection is Vista-ready, do you have the Vista driver loaded?

Couple things to ponder there.  Sorry couldn't be more help.

Mandy

32 Posts

June 13th, 2007 18:00

Yes, my ISP "supports" USB network adapters. In Sweden (there I live) most of the ISP offer wireless internet, and provide the customers with wireless USB network adapters and gateways/routers when they signup. Yes, it's drivers for Windows Vista. Thanks anyway, Mandy.

Message Edited by mankan on 06-13-2007 10:50 PM

32 Posts

June 21st, 2007 19:00

I have now bought a USB-Hub, with it's own powersupply, but still the same problem.
Dont Dimension 9150 support wireless usb adapters?
I have tryde now 4 diffrent wireless usb adapters (d-link, zyxel and belkin) on diffrent usb-ports (not at the same time), and on the usb-hubb (with it's own powersupply). It's still have the same problem, the usb-port just dies. I have all the latest drivers (bios and firmware) both for my dell, and the wireless usb adapters. I have reinstalled the pc, tryed both Windows XP and Windows Vista (running Vista again).
There is no problems with any other usb-accessories. I have tryed to move big and many files to usb-harddrives (two harddrives) at the same time, I also burnd a dvd at the same time, no problems there. I used my keyboard and mouse alot. I put in two usb-memories, and I also scanned and printed, all of this at the same time, and there was no problem.

What can I do, to get it to work???
It's working with no problem on antoher pc.....

I wonder if this problem will be there if I buy a wireless pci network adapter ( it will cost me about 145 us dollars)??

My warrenty is ower (for three weeks ago)

I'm very tierd of this, this problem have already cost my to much. I will never again buy a Dell pc (thats what I'm feling right now, anyway).

1.7K Posts

June 22nd, 2007 20:00

mankan,

Where do you have the USB adapter plugged in, the front or the back? Where ever it is you may want to try the other? Also, you may want to present this to the Dimension General Hardware group and see if they may have an answer. Here's the link if you want to present it to them too.

32 Posts

June 23rd, 2007 11:00

I have tried all USB-ports, both on the backside and frontside. And also with an extra USB 2.0 PCI card, and also an USB 2.0 Hub with it's own power. Thanks for the link, I belive that was there I started this thread.
No Events found!