Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2015 23:00

Low range and connectivity problem

I am having this problem since the time i bought this laptop. laptop is dell 14 5447 running on windows 8.1. The number of wifi signals shown on the laptop is very less compared to other laptops. If in other laptops 15-20 signals are being shown in my laptop only 6-7 will be shown.We have bought a new router to play multiplayer LAN. There i am facing another problem where my friends play in other rooms without lag, if i play from the same distance heavy lagging is observed.Only if i sit next to the router, i am able to play. My motherboard, wifi antenna, wifi card have all been replaced due to this problem. Still the problem persists.PLease help me solve this problem!!

1.8K Posts

October 25th, 2015 19:00

Hi,

You said that the wireless card has been replaced, as well as the antennas and motherboard, which makes me think that the interference causing the slow / weak connection is more an environmental issue than hardware.  What make and model of wireless card do you have in that system currently?   And are you running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows on the laptop?

Here is a link to the Dell Networking & Wireless Support Center.  There are quite a few suggestions you can try in that article to see if you can lessen the interference the card is experiencing.  I would recommend trying things such as changing the channel the router is connecting on, removing (temporarily) the security software on the router to see if that changes how well you connect, and making sure that the router has the most up to date firmware on it.

Since I'm not sure which card you now have in that system I can't recommend specific drivers but you may want to make sure you have cleared out all your networking profiles in the system and allow a new, clean, connection to the router.   

I would also recommend turning off any bluetooth card you may have in the system to see if any bluetooth devices, or connections, are interfering with the wifi card.

Last, and hopefully not needed, you may have a software conflict / corruption that is causing the problems, and you may want to do a clean install of Windows.   Since the hardware has been replaced all that really leaves is either environmental interference or a software conflict.

Let me know which card, driver, and Windows bit-version you're running and I'll see if I can suggest other things you can try.

Todd

6 Posts

October 25th, 2015 23:00

thank you

My wifi card hardware ids are 

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B3&SUBSYS_84708086&REV_83
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B3&SUBSYS_84708086
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B3&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B3&CC_0280

Device name seems to be intel dualband wireless AC 3160

the driver is Intel(R) Dualband Wireless-AC 3160

i am running on 64 bit windows 10. I have done clean installation of my pc almost 3 times now(windows 8.1).I dont think environment factors might be influencing the speed since my friends around me are facing absolutely no problem. by asking me to switch off bluetooth card are you asking me to switch off bluetooth in my system or something else?

1.8K Posts

October 26th, 2015 08:00

Hello,

You said you purchased a new router, is it capable of using both the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz bandwidth?  Your card is capable of connecting at 5.0 GHz so you may want to see if that frequency works better for you.  

Did you have the same Intel card in your system previously, and this replacement card is the same make & model?   

I ask because each card is susceptible to environmental issues in different ways.  You may want to try a different model of wireless adapter, or even a USB wireless adapter to see if those work.  Since all the hardware in the system has been replaced I truly doubt it's a pure hardware issue, but rather a configuration or environmental issue.  No two systems, no matter how closely their configurations and hardware are, will react exactly the same way to the environment.  A lot depends on the software setup, and any conflicts from it.  

For the bluetooth card, you should be able to go into your Win8.1 networking center and turn it off directly.  See if that improves performance.  

And you said you "almost" did 3 clean installs?  Not sure what you mean by "almost"?   Did you use the restore utility on the hard drive or use Windows media to delete all partitions and fully install from either DVD or USB drives?

Todd

6 Posts

October 26th, 2015 23:00

Yes it might be due to environment problem. I have tried it in various routers not only 1. The card replaced is the same as before. . I have considered buying an usb wireless adapter but isn't it bad that the new laptop I bought has a flaw in WiFi connection. I don't want to use a USB I would want to try solving the problem in other ways ,buying a USB adapter is my last resort , i will check the Bluetooth thing by 2 days since the system isn't with me right now. I have used recovery media given in a USB by dell , once I have formatted everything and twice I didn't format everything.

No Events found!