Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 8th, 2008 19:00

Mystery Hangs on Inspiron 910 Wireless

I have a problem that drives me crazy.  I just received my new Inspiron Mini 910.   My browser fetches inexplicably slow way down or time-out when I use my 802.1B wireless network (Netgear MR814 V2) but seems to work fine when I use a wired connection.  The problem  selems to pop up on the second or third link, not on IE startup.  It might be related to browser URL cookies - but that's a guess.

I've called support twice and we've wrung out the Wireless link.  It's a solid 11Mb connection.  They don't have any more ideas.  I just got the computer yesterday so there's a lot I don't know. 

What goes on between the browser and the Broadcom driver that could cause this?  I've fiddled with adaptor and browser settings but I don't seem to be making any progress.

I bought this unit to use on the road where who knows what kind of network I might find.  If I don't get this figured out I may have to return the unit.  I'm not a happy camper.

2 Intern

• 

887 Posts

November 9th, 2008 07:00

well, you might consider getting a new(er) router with that new mini.  But if you are intent on keeping the b only mr814v2, you must make sure you have the latest firmware.  Are you using wpa security?  ANy other wireless devices?  Run some speed tests on wireless to see what your download speed is from your isp.  Compare it to your wired connection.

1.7K Posts

November 10th, 2008 09:00

From a hardware viewpoint, I'd say make sure the antennae are properly connected.  To do that you just need a small philips head screwdriver to take the bottom cover off (powered down with the battery out first, of course).  My Mini (1Gb RAM, XP) works at about the same speed both wired and wireless for browsing, although some pages do take a bit to open up, especially if they have flash or some other relatively large embedded object in it.

5 Posts

May 14th, 2009 09:00

Another thing to check: Use Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del) to see the page file size. Both my 910 and older 2200 occasionally gobble up all the page file when running wirelessly. Never happened before SP3. I have found a few hits on Google about this, with no real answer or direction. My only solution has been to reboot. That's a royal pain, but it doesn't happen that often.

The wireless utility should give you some idea of signal strength, but I haven't had any problem there, using Netgear WGR-614 router. A site survey will show if anyone else is using the same WiFi channel. If so, you can reconfigure your router to a vacant channel or at least one with no strong signals. My neighbors and I have an informal agreement to all use different channels, and we get along fine.

No Events found!