Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 11th, 2008 23:00

Need Help Upgrading to Gigabit NIC in Dimension 1100/B110.

I have a Linksys 10/100/1000 Gigabit NIC (m/n EG1032), which I've tried installing in my Dimension 1100/B110 without success.  I followed the installation instructions from Linksys (i.e., open case and add card to motherboard, then start PC, at which point WINXP Pro should identify the new hardware and I would then select the driver from the disk.  However, the "Found New Hardware" never came up.  The Dimension 1100/B110 comes with an Intel Pro 100 NIC onboard.  I next tried to disable the onboard NIC through the Hardware Manager, and use the Add Hardware feature in the Control Panel, but it didn't find the new NIC on the first go round.  So, I installed the driver utilizing the "Have Disk" option.  The Linksys NIC was installed, but stated that it might not work properly, and a look at the Hardware Manager confirmed that there was a problem (a yellow exclaimation point next the the new device and a Code/Error 10 in the Details section).    The yellow light on the new NIC did flash when the ethernet cable was plugged in, but it didn't connect to the network.  The Windows Troubleshooter recommended removing and restarting the PC, but the new NIC still was not found when Windows booted up.  I next restarted the PC, went into the Bios and disabled the network interface.  The PC took forever to restart into Windows, and still the new hardware was not recognized.   I'm wondering whether there is a pin on the motherboard that I need to short, in order to be able to install a new NIC, or if there's some changes I need to make in the Windows software someplace.  I've restored the Bios setting and have enabled the onboard NIC in the interim, so as to be able to access the internet and my network printer.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thankx,

Jack

1.7K Posts

December 12th, 2008 07:00

You should not have any problems adding a PCI card to the computer.  Shorting pins on the motherboard is not required and would void the warranty (even if it did help get the card to work).

In my experience the best way to install new hardware in Windows is to install the drivers and then connect the hardware.  I have had to do this in the past with Linksys PCMCIA network cards, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is still the most reliable way to add a new card to your computer.

The steps I would personally recommend are:

1. Start in Safe Mode
  2. Uninstall the software from Add & Remove Programs (or Programs in Vista)
  3. Uninstall the card from the Device Manager (their might be more than one entry)
  4. Power down the computer and remove the card
  5. Start up normally
  6. Install the software/drivers for the new card
  7. Power down and install the card
  8. Start up normally and let it "find new hardware"
  9. Test the card

14.4K Posts

December 13th, 2008 06:00

Uninstall it from device manager and then try what Larry wrote after you place the nic in a different PCI slot. Change any card if you dont have an open slot.

Make double, tripple sure it is full inserted. sometimes it look like it is but it is not.

7 Posts

December 16th, 2008 13:00

Dear Larry,

Thanks for the assist, the new Linksys gigabit NIC is now working fine; I am connecting both to my network printer and the internet.  I just have one other question ... I'm getting an error icon showing up in the right side of the taskbar stating that a "Network Cable is unplugged in my local area connection".  I'm assuming that this is referring to the onboard NIC (Intel Pro/100), which I am no longer using, but which I've not disabled in the Device Manager.  Am I correct in this assumption, and there's no other issue?  If I disable the onboard NIC will this error icon disappear?

Thanks again,

Jack

7 Posts

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your help, the new Linksys gigabit NIC is now working fine. 

Sincerely,

Jack

7 Posts

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your help, the new Linksys gigabit NIC is now working fine.

1.7K Posts

I'm glad to hear you got it working.

And yes, if you disable the onboard NIC (either in Device Manager or the BIOS) you will stop seeing that message.  The new NIC is probably listed as "Local Area Connection 2" (or maybe 3 due to the problems earlier).

7 Posts

December 19th, 2008 07:00

Dear Larry,

Thanks again, disabling the NIC removed the message.  One more issue:  When I plugged the PC into the new gigabit switch, I noticed that the LED indicator for the PC's connection was only showing up as 10mbps, rather than 1000mbps, and sure enough when I checked the NIC's status on the PC that was, indeed, the speed.  When I re-enabled the onboard Intel Pro/100 NIC and plugged the ethernet cable into it, both the switch and the device's status on the PC showed the device working  at 100mbps.  I can't seem to find anything in the system properties of the new gigabit NIC to change the mbps.  Is there something in the BIOS that needs to be changed?  Lastly, I've been searching to find whether anyone makes an ADSL gigabit modem, but I can't seem to find any.  Are you aware of any, or is this technology that is yet to come?  (It seems kind of odd to me that there are gigabit NICs but no corresponding modems.)  As always, I appreciate your assistance.

Sincerely,

Jack

1.7K Posts

December 25th, 2008 13:00

You should have an option to manually set the connection speed to 100Mbps full duplex in the Device Manager properties window for the NIC (the Advanced tab).  I've seen before where a 100Mbps device connected to a gigabit device drops back to 10Mbps because the gigabit device confused it when it attempted to talk at 1000Mbps (the NIC is supposed to negotiate with the connected device to set the connection speed, and sometimes one end or the other gets a bit confused if the difference between them is great enough).

If you don't see a setting there, then you'll have to check the connection manager software for that network adapter.  The BIOS only has an enable/disable option (and nothing else) for the onboard NIC.

7 Posts

December 30th, 2008 15:00

Dear Larry,

Thanks again, I found the manual setting in the Advanced tab, and set the NIC to 1000Mbps full duplex, which now shows up as 100Mbps on the gigabit switch and in the status of the NIC in the Network Connections.  You'd indicated that the setting should be 100Mbps instead, but I figured I'd try the 1000 setting to see what happened; I guess that since there's no other 1000Mbps device on my home network, this is the reason that the switch and status is only showing a 100 speed.  Might I encounter any problems if I leave the manual setting to 1000Mbps full duplex, and should I change it back down to the 100 setting?  I'm assuming that more devices/technology are going to be coming out that have the gigabit speed, otherwise it seems kind of silly to have spent the money and time on upgrading to a faster NIC and switch, when the maximum speed I'm able to achieve is the 100Mbps that I already had with my original setup.  Oh well.

I appreciate all of your help and assistance, and hope that you had a wonderful Christmas, and wish you a most happy New Year's.

All the best,

Jack

1.7K Posts

December 31st, 2008 07:00

There are no problems with having it set to 1000Mbps if the switch supports it.  If nothing else on your network is working at that speed then only the communication between the switch and computer will be at 1000Mbps, but that doesn't hurt anything at all.

I suggested setting it to 100Mbps because I've seen gigabit connections not talk right to slower devices when set to auto.  Full duplex is the important thing, as half-duplex sends data at half the speed (it can talk or listen, but not at the same time in half-duplex, while it can talk and listen at once in full duplex mode).

7 Posts

January 8th, 2009 08:00

Dear Larry,

Great, I understand now.  Thanks for all of your assistance and advice, and helping me comprehend everything.  I do appreciate it!  I hope that you had a wonderful holiday season, and wish you a fantastic 2009!!

All the best,

Jack

1.7K Posts

January 8th, 2009 12:00

No problem.  I'm just glad I could help out. :emotion-5:

2 Posts

December 10th, 2011 18:00

I'm trying to find a NIC ethernet card (to replace a faulty one) for a Dell Dimension 1100/B110. I can find the driver on Dell's site, but I can't find any part number for a replacement NIC card. Under Device Manager->Network Adaptor, Intel PRO/100VE Network Connection is listed.  Is that the name of the NIC card? Are there substitues I could purchase instaed?

Thanks -

Andy

2 Posts

December 10th, 2011 19:00

Is new driver software usually supplied with an NIC card?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 10th, 2011 19:00

Any full-height NIC card will do.

No Events found!