Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2011 09:00

Need some help on a gigabit wireless router purchase.

Hi All,

I have a Inspiron desktop with a belkin G router for my network and  I just bought a goflex home network drive 3TB. The transfer rate/speed is 7 to 8 MB/second which I think is very slow.

I would like to get some info from you guys, if a new router would speed things a long. Like what do you have and what is your transfer speed. When I do a backup it takes forever to finish.

Thanks in advance

26 Posts

February 6th, 2011 14:00

The router that I use is a Netgear WNR3500L-100NAS.  It has gigabit ports, is wireless-N up to 300Mbps.  It also has a USB port on it for using a network drive.  i have yet to use it though.  I use a secondary drive in my desktop for backup purposes.

Is the Drive a USB or Cat5e?  Can you give us a model # for the drive?

4.4K Posts

February 7th, 2011 06:00

Thanks for your reply. I have a goflex home model STAM3000100 and it uses a Cat5e cable. I love the idea of a network drive but I need to speed this bad boy up.

Thanks

26 Posts

February 7th, 2011 11:00

I can't seem to find any info on the ports on it.  But I did read some info about.  It seems like everyone is having issues with it being extremely slow over the network.  I haven't seen any way to speed it up.  Does you router have a usb port on it?  If so....this might help a little.  I just haven't seen a way to speed up the net connection on the drive.

26 Posts

February 7th, 2011 16:00

You last post contained nothing.

4.4K Posts

February 7th, 2011 17:00

I ordered the netgear router, no my belkin do not have a USB port.

Thanks

26 Posts

February 7th, 2011 19:00

Great.  It should get you a better speed your you backup needs.

Make sure and check out www.myopenrouter.com.  Its got all the info to correctly setup the USB drive on the router.  If you have any more questions...just ask.

4.4K Posts

February 7th, 2011 19:00

Thanks for all the help.

No Events found!