Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2016 16:00

Network Adapter issue

Our 2008 Dell XPS1530 Vista laptop is down and out.  The other day it started running very slowly, so I ran Safe Mode, diagnostics and disk check, etc.,  but to no avail.  I finally realized it wouldn't connect to the internet for online diagnostics, troubleshooting, etc.  The disk check showed an error on the disk it couldn't repair.  I eventually found my way to the Device Manager window and it shows several yellow exclamation icons.  At least one has been there for years, Tun Miniport Adapter #2, which apparently affects its inability to scroll via the touchpad.  That's no big deal, and no one has been able to fix that.

But the big problem now appears to be the faulty Network Adapter, isatap.  I think this may be the real issue.  If I understand it, this is a piece of hardware?  A card in the computer that facilitates wireless connecting?  We just switched from DSL to FiOS a couple of weeks ago, but though I stumbled through some of the network setting up, the laptop seemed to work okay until a few days ago.  I tried to print a screenshot of the Device Manager, but can't get the printer driver to load, even USB'd directly to the printer it used to WiFi or bluetooth to.  There may be other issues beyond the isatap?

Fortunately we have an iPad and a new Windows 10 Netbook to communicate with.  Is there a software fix for the isatap issue?  I theoretically could download software via the netbook, load to a thumbdrive, and then thumbdrive to the XPS1530.

Or is this an issue for a repair shop?

May 27th, 2016 02:00

Sorry,I can't help you  192.168.1.1

1 Rookie

• 

41 Posts

May 27th, 2016 16:00

Took it to our local Office Depot guru and he fixed just about everything in about a half hour to an hour.  Something was wrong with some basic part of Windows I guess.  He had a thumbdrive with a systems analysis program he just plugged in and ran;  then he went through and repaired the faulty parts of the O.S.  Cost was very small, plus while waiting on the analysis phases, I got a lot of other questions answered about a lot of things cyber, not just the computer issue, so it was a great value.  The bonus is the machine runs a whole lot faster too.

No Events found!