Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2006 16:00

Network Cable Unplugged XP

After MS installed XP update I get "Network Cable Unplugged" flashing in the lower right screen. Any suggestions???

695 Posts

March 1st, 2006 17:00

Is your ethernet port connected? If not, you can disable the connection and the notice will go away.

5 Posts

March 1st, 2006 18:00

@Jerry Park wrote:
Is your ethernet port connected? If not, you can disable the connection and the notice will go away.

The message "Network Cable Unplugged" means exactly what is suggests. No online enternet connection. Although, interestingly, it does connect every couple seconds and then disconnects. This is somehow connected to the installation of a Linksys Wireless-G card. It has interrupted the port, although doesn't show a conflict. All drivers for both wireless and network have been uninstalled and then reinstalled. Can't figure anyway out of this other than reformat. No help on M'soft website or Broadcom - maker of the ethernet card.

4 Posts

March 2nd, 2006 15:00

You can do 2 things.  One is to open your network connections and right click on the ethernet connection and then select disable.  You will stop seeing that message from appearing.  But just be aware that you will have to enable the connection when you plug the ethernet cable back in.
  The other option is to open network connections, and right click on ethernet/lan connection and select properties.  Then make sure that the options that says "show icon in notification area ...." and "notify me when this connection ..." are both unchecked.  That is all there is too it.

--SBoz84

6 Posts

March 5th, 2006 19:00

I'm having the same problem. The network icon in the lower right show Network Cable Unplugged. I have no networking capabilities. This problem just started today. I have changed the cables, rebooted the router, checked networking properties, etc.
My Dimension 4700 has an onboard NIC, so I can't reseat the card. My other computer is connecting to the network/internet just fine. It seems like the actual cable port has died. There's an orange light on the port, but the other light is off. I don't want to simply disable the network connection, because then I have no network access. I don't want the error message to go away. I want the error fixed.
Any thoughts anyone?

Message Edited by Kelnetbc on 03-05-2006 03:28 PM

5 Posts

March 6th, 2006 12:00

I'm not trying to get rid of the message "Network Cable Unplugged". I want my computer to connect to the internet. All diagnostics indicate the NIC card works, however it won't lock onto the network, but connects every several seconds and then disconnects. It was working fine a week ago and then I reinstalled my wireless driver for a linksys card. The NIC card in the Inspiron 5100 is not easily accessible and would require taking the computer apart to replace.

@sboz84 wrote:
You can do 2 things. One is to open your network connections and right click on the ethernet connection and then select disable. You will stop seeing that message from appearing. But just be aware that you will have to enable the connection when you plug the ethernet cable back in.
The other option is to open network connections, and right click on ethernet/lan connection and select properties. Then make sure that the options that says "show icon in notification area ...." and "notify me when this connection ..." are both unchecked. That is all there is too it.
--SBoz84

6 Posts

March 6th, 2006 22:00

My problem seems to be fixed. I unplugged the power cable from the tower. Then I held the power button in for about 15 seconds. Then I replugged the cord and turned on the computer. Now I don't have the error message and the computer connects to the network/internet.

I dunno why, but that seems to have done the trick.

4 Posts

April 8th, 2007 07:00

I was inserting/removing some PCI cards to Dimension 4700 then this problem started. All the lights on the NIC/router/modem seemed fine but I couldn't go on the internet. Reinstalling Windows didn't help. Luckily, I backed up the pre-existing folders (windows/program files/documents and settings) so I don't have to reinstall anything after I followed Kelnetbc's solution which fixed my problem! Thank you.

Message Edited by DepecheNYC on 04-08-2007 03:17 AM
No Events found!