Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

May 26th, 2006 03:00

Network Issue

Hello All !
I have been tiring to figure this one out for 2 days. I have 2 computers on my network and until recently everything worked fine. Now although I can see both computers in my work group I can only access on. I turned off all firewalls and removed all Antivirus programs and started pinging. I also have 2 routers 1 is a gateway and the other is working as a switch. So from computer A (the Problem Comp) I can ping my other PC as well as both routers and “localhost” . From computer B I can ping both routers “localhost” but not computer A. I then pinged from the gateway router to PC-B but could not ping PC-A (Connected Directly). Is this telling me my hardware is bad ? I find it hard to believe the NIC card works in every aspect but incoming requests. I am going to try a new card but I thought I would reach out and see if anyone ells had experienced the same symptoms. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank !!!

12K Posts

May 27th, 2006 04:00

Make sure you have disabled DHCP on the router acting as a switch and give that new device a static IP Address on the LAN that is within the scope of the true router with DHCP.  Do no use the WAN port on the dsiable router for any reason and that should pretty much do it.

2 Posts

May 27th, 2006 12:00

Well
I have it fixed and I think I know what the issue was but maybe a Dell person could confirm or deny. After going crazy and tiring a new card I decided to start from scratch so I cloned my C drive then formatted and reinstalled Windows. Now with a clean install I setup my network using the new NIC and presto it worked. I could share files and ping both computers. In my excitement I went to town installing windows updates and all the Dell drivers and utilities. Just as quick as it started working it stopped ! So I reinstalled again but this time I installed the Dell software 1 at a time. (usually I would suspect Windows but not this time) As I was going through each driver and utility (install, reboot, test) I came across a chipset driver labeled “Broadcom Trusted Platform Module” now being a chipset driver I would normally just install it without reading about it. Well after reading about the install it needs to be setup after install and configured which I never did. Anyway I installed the rest of the drivers and then eventually all the Windows updates and it is still working. So it looks like that driver maybe closes some ports or something I don’t know. I think maybe one day when I was board I was crazing the Dell site for updated drivers and may have installed it. I only noticed the issue when I tried to transfer some files. I could just be crazy but all I know is it is working again.

Thanks for the reply
No Events found!