Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

June 28th, 2015 11:00

Network adapter has a red light?

I'm trying to install a new wireless router, and get the message that my network adapter is not working. The light to the left of the connection is red; to the right, it blinks orange. I've gone through diagnostics "communications" under "accessories." So can't find how to "enable" if it's "disabled." Can anyone guide me? (I'm using a Latitude E6410.)

1.8K Posts

June 30th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

When you tried the diagnostics what message did you receive?  The message about the network adapter not working, are you getting that from Windows or from a diagnostic?  

Normally, the left light means connectivity and the right light means speed.   A red light on the left light of a network connector means that it's not receiving data for some reason.   Have you tried a different cable?  What about plugging the cable into a different port on the router?  It could be that the NIC is experiencing "collisions" as data is being interfered with by another network device. 

The other light, the one that is orange, means it's not receiving / transmitting data at any speed (which you would assume with the red connection light). 

So, it's a new router.  Were you seeing these light sequences with the previous router when you were connected by a wire to it?  If not, chances are that the NIC (network interface card) didn't suddenly go bad while switching the routers out.  Check your cables, check your connections, reset the router (with the cables plugged in, and try again with no cables attached).  

Let me know what you find out.

Todd

No Events found!