Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Y

July 28th, 2005 20:00

Network cable unplugged

Hi,

My Dimension 8400 has the built in Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller. I am trying to connect to BroadBand via a SafeCom Wireless ADSL Router but cannot get past the LAN Network Cable Unplugged error.

I have proven the BBand connection works.
I have tried 2 Ethernet cables which are proven.
I have run winsockfix and lspfix, no change.
I have downloaded the latest drivers for the Controller.

When I run ipconfig /all I am only getting these details which I am sure is very wrong:

ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DB118D1J
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:
        Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
roller
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-67-B6-6C

Any help would be really appreciated as I am pulling my hair out!!

Thanks in advance,
Gizmo

6 Posts

July 28th, 2005 21:00

Now I am connected via a Fujitsu ADSL modem ipconfig give this info:

Do I need to configure the Broadcom Controller to use the static IP address that my service provider has given me?

I have also disabled Windows and McAfee firewalls

Gizmo

--------

C:\Documents and Settings\Gary>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DB118D1J
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:
roller
PPP adapter Fujitsu Dial-Up PPP Connection:
        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 83.151.226.130
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 83.151.226.130
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 83.151.192.11
        NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

28K Posts

July 28th, 2005 21:00

Does the link light next to where the ethernet cable plugs in to your computer light up when both the computer and the router are powered on?  If not, and you have eliminated the cable and router as the problem, then it suggests there is something wrong with your network card.  Have you run the Broadcom diagnostics (available from the Broadcom Control Suite entry is Start > All Programs)?  What happens if you go to a command promt window and type ping 127.0.01 then hit the Enter key?

Steve

6 Posts

July 29th, 2005 05:00

The ping of localhost works ok.

In Broadcom Suite the Link Status is marked as Red
Vital Sign has IP address of n/a, does this matter?

Network Test fails stating Link Down

When I run test from the Diagnositcs tab, all tests pass. The lights on the network adapter flash orange 5 times. This though is the only time I have seen them do so.

Cable test is failing, though the manual states the connection must be Gigabit Ethernet - not sure how to check/force this?

Thanks,
Gizmo

12K Posts

July 29th, 2005 06:00

First of all, turn on one of those firewalls but not both and make sure the speed selction is set to auto.  DHCP should be set for the card even though you have a static ip address and I would really think about getting arouter to put in there between your machine and that modem.

6 Posts

July 29th, 2005 17:00

I have switched McAfee Firewall back on.
DHCP is enabed for the card and speed is set to Auto.

Still cannot get the PC to recognise the Router.

Thanks,
Gizmo

12K Posts

July 30th, 2005 05:00

Have you tried a different cable or different port on the router?

6 Posts

July 30th, 2005 09:00

Yes, I have tried 2 network cables and all 4 ports on the router.

When I run ipconfig /all the section related to the network card shows:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:
roller

Does this look correct , as in the media state?

Gizmo

28K Posts

July 30th, 2005 15:00

"media disconnected" means that the network card is not seeing any connection.  If it can't see a connection, it can't get an IP address and it can't connect to any network.  Since you've eliminated the cables and router ports as the problem.  That leaves only the network card.  You might try reinstalling the drivers for the network card.  The latest drivers can be found at:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/type.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8400&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=6197

Once you have this file downloaded to your computer, go into Device Manager and remove the Gigabit card.  Reboot, then run the download file to reinstall the drivers.

If this doesn't work, then a cheap troubleshooting step to verify that your network adapter is bad is to install a PCI network card (they can be found for less than $10 after rebate, and sometimes even free).  If your system is still under warranty, then you will have to call Dell Tech Support and go through the troubleshooting steps again.  If they determine that the network adapter is bad, they will have to replace your motherboard, since the adapter is integrated on the board.

Steve

12K Posts

August 8th, 2005 16:00

You will get a better repsonse by starting your own thread.  It keeps the confusion level down.

12K Posts

What is the home page IP address of that router?

1 Message

Hello...I own a Dimension 2350 Desktop. I use Bellsouth DSL and when I plug the cable into the port on back of computer I get no connection to the Internet. Everything worked fine with it until a thunderstorm a few months ago. Everything still works fine on the computer, including dial-up capability to Internet, but broadband port seems to be blown out. Is this possible? Is there a fix?  

6 Posts

August 8th, 2005 17:00

Thanks for your replies. I have taken your advice and installed an SMC network card. As you expected this works perfectly, so the Broadcom must be at fault. So now I will await the response from Dell support.

Gizmo

2 Posts

September 10th, 2005 16:00

Gizmo,

I have run in to this same problem - 'network cable unplugged' - on a new Dimension 4700.  Worked fine until yesterday.

What can you tell me about what you learned?

Steve

12K Posts

September 11th, 2005 05:00

I would check to make sure you have the latest drivers from the manufacturer (not Dell) along with a BIOS update.

2 Posts

September 11th, 2005 17:00

I discovered a solution.  It has to do the transfer rate.  On the advice found in another thread, I configured the network adapter to transfer at 10mps full duplex.  The hub (only 10 mps) then recognized the network adapter.  No more 'network cable unplugged' message!

See this thread:
No Events found!