Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 6th, 2016 12:00

Network protocols missing. Windows 10

I have brand new Inspiron 5559 running Windows 10. It connects to my wi if and says it has internet access, but I cannot open any websites. My connection is fine and works with 8 other devices, although none run Windows 10. I ran the troubleshooter and got the message "one or more network protocols are missing on this computer".

The detail message says "Windows sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing".

I have most of the solutions suggested on the Microsoft site using device manager and command prompt, but no success. It did briefly connect for a few minutes but then failed again.

Has anyone any ideas? I suspect it's something to do with Windows 10 compatibility with the hardware? But it's a new machine supplied by dell.

5 Posts

March 10th, 2016 13:00

New router arrived today and problem solved! Thanks for all the help and hopefully this tale can assist others.

1.8K Posts

March 7th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

Which command prompt lines are you referring to?  Specifically did you try the "netsh winsock reset" winsock reset command?

If you reset winsocket and the issue reoccurred even after running that command prompt then it's likely some other software application is interfering with your network connection, whether it's on your system or something with the firmware on your router.   Since none of the other devices connecting are Windows 10 you may simply need to update the firmware of your router.  Which make & model of router are you connecting to?

Here is an article I found with an online search that shows the winsock reset process if you haven't yet tried it.  

In order for me to more efficiently troubleshoot this issue please right click on my Dell Todd username and send me a private message with the Dell Service Tag of your Inspiron 5559.  Please keep all troubleshooting steps here in this public thread so that others, who may have the same questions, can see what is discussed.

Thank you,

Todd

5 Posts

March 7th, 2016 13:00

Thanks for the pointers Todd.

I had tried netsh winsock reset along with other commands suggested at step 3 of the Microsoft article "fix network connection issues Windows 10". Specifically int ip reset, ipconfig release, ipconfig renew, and ipconfig flushdns .

It seems to work initially but after a while individual websites fail to connect and eventually all fail to connect. I have tried to repeat the winsock reset several times and I get the same result.

The wifi router I am using is provided by my isp (plusnet. ). It's a technicolor TG582n, with software release 10.2.5.2.FO.

The online article to reset the winsock is basically what I have done, although I have not got the confidence to attempt the manual registry method suggested.

1.8K Posts

March 8th, 2016 07:00

Hi,

Do you know if your account is set up as an ADSL or FTTC?  This site shows different firmware updates needed for the TG582n depending on the connection type.  Check with Plusnet and confirm which of those firmware versions should be on your router.  (BTW, have you discussed this issue with them at all?  They may know something about this that we don't.  Not saying it's their issue by any means, just don't want to waste time if they can help us much quicker)

Next question:  I'm assuming all this is happening when connecting wirelessly to your router.  What happens or is there any change to behavior if you connect via a network cable to the router?

Lets try a quick test if you don't mind.   Disable your wireless connection and then run the netsh command again, but then I also want you to delete your wireless profiles.  After you've disabled wireless, run the netsh command, and deleted your wireless profiles then reboot your system, enable wireless again, and connect to the router.  Let's see what happens at that point.

EDIT:  Also, check to see (when you can get online) if there are any Windows 10 updates from Microsoft that need to be downloaded and installed.  

Todd

5 Posts

March 8th, 2016 14:00

Hi,

Cable connection has the same issues as wireless.

I carried out the test you described. It allowed access for some minutes but then site by site the access became unavailable again, just as before.

Not sure about Windows 10 updates, still investigating.

Also I am still trying to contact plusnet and speak to a human being - it's far more difficult than contacting Dell!

I'll get back to you as soon as I have more info.

5 Posts

March 9th, 2016 03:00

Hi,

I have now managed to try my machine on a different router and it works fine, proving in my mind that it is the router that is incompatible with windows 10. I have now managed to contact PlusNet and they have agreed to send me a new router. Hopefully that will solve the problem, I'll report back on this forum in a few days, after I receive it.

1.8K Posts

March 9th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

I'm glad to hear that there is a resolution in sight for your issue.   Please let us know if that replacement router works well for you.

Todd

2 Posts

March 15th, 2017 06:00

You can download many tools online to resolve this issue or try "netcfg -d" command in command prompt that can fix the issue for you. Read this guide: How to troubleshoot one or more network protocols are missing

No Events found!