Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

May 26th, 2007 05:00

Networking XP and Vista?

I am setting up a home network with a Linksys router, an inspiron 6400 running XP and a new HP running Vista. I have named the workgroup and believe I have the network set up correctly on the Vista computer.

When I pull up the network on the Vista computer I can see the XP comp but can't open anything. When trying to map the network on the XP comp I can see the network but can't see the Vista comp under the network.

I'm setting up a motorcycle shop and could use all the help anyone is willing to give.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

May 26th, 2007 06:00

Here are some links that may help:

Simplest to follow (read the 'best answer' at top):

Second page of this thread discussed solutions that helped someone get it working:

Microsoft's doc (from another link in Dell's forum):

Two other options:

Hopefully the first one works as it is simple with little reading.  You can do some searches in this forum also or a search engine (that is what I did).  Sorry to point you to links...I just got Vista several days ago and have just finished clean installing as well as fixing a few minor issues...so I have not yet networked my computers.  If one of the links work out for you (one of them should as there is some good info in a few of them that I scanned over), please reply to let others know which one worked.  I would try them myself right now, but I am at work and my own computers are at home right now.  Good luck.

Best wishes on your motorcycle shop as well...bravo!!!

12K Posts

May 26th, 2007 10:00

Check the new Vista computer for a third party firewall that is probably blocking the shraing connection.  (Symantec or Mcafee).

1.7K Posts

June 9th, 2007 04:00

eug12,

You'll also need to apply the following patch.  XP to Vista network patch

Message Edited by DELL-Gina on 06-09-2007 12:57 AM

15 Posts

June 21st, 2007 19:00

Please check out my computer blog (you need to use Internet Explorer  for it's in Microsoft *.mht archive format) on how I successfully resolved the XP <> Vista networking issue at

http://www.svabhinava.org/Dia-Gnosis/SuntharVisuvalingam/ComputerBlogs/VistaXP-frame.php

It provides links to other relevant threads involving users with a variety of different hardware, software, network, and wireless configurations.

If anyone else succeeds, please let the rest of us know what other or different steps you needed to take, by responding also to my original TechNet post here at

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/ShowPost.aspx?postid=1683125&siteid=17

Sunthar

4 Posts

June 29th, 2007 22:00

Wow, thanks for the responses. I am going to spend Friday night working on this.

We have a backup storage device and cannot backup the computer running Vista until the network is set up.

Ugggghhhhhh!
No Events found!