Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2006 17:00

No IP Address when I type ipconfig

I re-installed WinXP and lost the ability to connect to a cable modem. When I typed ipconfig in the DOS emmulator I did not get any IP address back. I went to TCP/IP properties and manually put the IP address in and there was still an error. The modem installation software reported an error while trying to renew ip address. Set the properties to automatically obtain ip address and still got the same error. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.  Mike

3 Posts

November 12th, 2006 18:00

Might wanna check and make sure that the NIC is recognized in the device manager. and that the drivers are installed

4 Posts

November 12th, 2006 18:00

Is the NIC in Network Adapters? If this is it than the "Device is working properly". I've updated the drivers just in case and no luck.

2.2K Posts

November 12th, 2006 19:00

If you have a cable modem and a router then go power down both of them. Wait a couple minutes and then power up the modem first. Wait until it is fully powered and then power up the router. After the router is powered up then if you are using these through a computer like a desktop then check the ip address using the cmd prompt. Make sure the ip address shows up. If not from cmd release the ip address and then renew it. Should be there. Hint, if your cable modem has a battery backup installed you will need to remove that battery at the begining when you power the modem down. I made that mistake here and could not reset the modem! But get the ip address on the desktop first if you have one. Should show like 192.168.1.1 and should show your ISP also. Once you get it there you should be able to see it on the laptop wireless and if not at first release and renew it on the laptop also. Hope that helps.

Message Edited by dbramlet on 11-12-200603:58 PM

14.4K Posts

November 12th, 2006 19:00

open network connections on the control panel...
right click on the local area connection and select properties...
make sure the following protocals are installed.....

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks
QoS Packet Sharing
Internet Protocal (TCP/IP)

2.2K Posts

November 12th, 2006 20:00

Ok, if resetting the cable modem does not get you an ip address then there is a good chance the cable modem has gone bad. Good luck!

2.2K Posts

You are welcome! Should work for you. Please post even if it does work so others will know and can try this also if needed.

4 Posts

No problem, I'll post when I resolve. I won't have access to that computer again until 11/14 so it will be couple days. Thanks again.

4 Posts

Thanks for all your help! I'll give that a try and repost if it doesn't work. Thanks again!!

1 Message

November 13th, 2006 03:00

Removed for Spam

69 Posts

November 13th, 2006 11:00

dbramlet: If the internet worked fine before reinstalling XP then I really doubt it's a bda modem. It is rare that they are actually the cause of the issue. The power cycle works 99% of the time after reinstalling the OS.

69 Posts

November 13th, 2006 12:00

I was just stating that something like that may need to come from the ISP and if this started after a reinstall of the OS that the modem most likely wasn't the issue. In my previous position I used to have to correct things for people who were told there modem was bad and there is rarely an occasion that it can be found out over the phone. Not trying to step on anyones toes here, just providing a little of my experience.

2.2K Posts

Well, I never said it was for sure a bad modem. Mainly said he probably needs to reset the modem. But to let you know I disagree because I have more then once discovered bad modems and recently my own. But my modem belongs to my cable company and they came out and replaced it. Was only 2 months old. However, if you have his solution please address that to him as he is the one with the problem. All I do is offer suggestions.

2.2K Posts

Well first off you aren't stepping on my toes at all. I just try to offer help. But I threw the may be bad modem in as a last resort. I really feel resetting the modem will regain the isp address and that was my main suggestion. But please post any solutions you may have because as you know it's hard to help when you cannot see the problem. Just mainly meant to post any advice that may help him to him and maybe all us together can get him up and running again. But no offense taken.
No Events found!