Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2012 06:00

No internet connection, wireless connection problem

I have bought Dell inspiron 14z ultrabook, windows 7 home edition.

I have problems with connecting to internet. My internet connection is lost after 2-3 minutes.

I read somewhere that this was due to latest updates to macafee. I have tried the using some guidelines how to fix this issue which was posted on dell support website.

Despite following all steps I am still having same problem.

I have also run diagnostic test on my laptop and every part is working fine.

I have unistalled antivirus but I am having same problem (no internet action after every 2-3 min). My wireless router is brand new, works absolute fine. 

Please suggest some ideas ASAP or else I have to return this laptop back to dell and get another one, but not dell!

Thanks

October 17th, 2012 05:00

As Internet is working fine in Safe Mode, the issue is related to Windows. The Windows might not be configured properly or some file might be corrupted. Hardware should be fine.

Try browsing the Internet in normal mode. If it is not working, I would suggest the following steps:

1. Check if you have 'Dell Stage Remote' application installed on the system. If it is there, uninstall it. For steps to uninstall an application, visit the link below:

http://bit.ly/aKpCKb

2. Maximize the performance of 'Wireless Card' installed in the laptop:

- Right-click the 'Computer' icon on the desktop or from the 'Start menu'.
- Click 'Manage'.
- Click 'Device Manager'.
- Click the + sign to expand the 'Network Adapters' entry.
- Right-click the wireless adapter and click 'Properties''.

Note: Your system might have been shipped with one of the following cards:

• DW1703 WiFi/Bluetooth 4.0 combo card
• DW1704 WiFi/Bluetooth 4.0 combo card
• DW1901 WiFi/Bluetooth 4.0 combo card
• Intel 2230 WiFi/Bluetooth 4.0 combo card
• Intel 6150 WiFi/WiMAX combo card

- Click the 'Advanced' tab to configure the advanced settings.
- Select Power Management, uncheck Default / Auto, and move the slider to Highest / Maximum Performance.

Note: If the slider is already at Highest / Maximum Performance, move the slider to another setting and then back to Highest / Maximum Performance.

- The following adapter settings can be found under the ‘Advanced menu’. Please match the settings with the values given below:

802.11n channel width for band 2.4- Auto (not in 20 MHz only)
802.11n channel width for band 5.2- Auto (not in 20 MHz only)
802.11n mode- Enabled
Fat channel intolerant- Disabled
Roaming aggressiveness- Highest
Throughput enhancement- Disabled
Transmit power- Highest
Wireless mode- 802.11a/b/g

- Click 'Ok' to save settings and re-check the wireless performance.

If you continue to face the issue, I would suggest that you back up the data (Pictures, Music, Videos, Documents, Favorites, and MS Outlook Emails etc.) and reinstall the Windows on the system.

Let me know if you need any further assistance. I will be glad to help.

5 Posts

thanks. yesterday it worked fine after changing wirelessperformance to maximum from power saver.

So far working good. I will try aove steps to ensure smooth running if any problems. i will get back to you.

Many thanks for your help.

October 15th, 2012 08:00

Hi VAIBHAVG18,

Please let me know which version of Inspiron 14z do you have (Inspiron 1470, Inspiron N411z or Inspiron 5423).

As the diagnostics passed, the hard drive seems to be fine and the issue seems related to the drivers or Windows. You may check this by booting the system in Safe Mode with Networking.

To boot in Safe Mode with networking:

1. Start the system and press F8 once at Dell logo to enter the ‘Advanced Boot Options’ menu.
2. Use the down arrow key to navigate to ‘Safe Mode with Networking’ and press enter.
3. Log into Safe Mode using an Administrator account.

In Safe Mode with networking, try using the system and check if the issue is still present or not. Let me know the result.

I would also suggest changing the properties of the network card in Device manager by performing the following steps (the options may vary depending on the wireless card installed on your system):

1. Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”.
2. Click on “Manage” and click on “Device Manager”.
3. Go to “Network adapter” and right click on the wireless card driver and click on “Properties”.
4. Click on “Advanced” and select “Channel” and change it to “11” on the right side.
5. Select “Roaming aggressiveness and change is to “Highest”.
6. Click on “Apply” and then “OK”.
7. Check if the issue is fixed.

You may also try changing the power management settings for the Wireless card and set it to maximum performance. The steps are listed below:

1. Go to the Control Panel.
2. Select Power Options.
3. Select Change plan settings next to the plan that is highlighted.
4. Select Change advanced power settings.
5. Select the + by Wireless Adapter settings to view the Power Saving Mode.
6. Select the + by Power Saving Mode, change settings to following values:

On battery: Maximum Performance
Plugged in: Maximum Performance

7. Select OK to save the settings.

You may also try updating the BIOS and Wireless Drivers.

Note: While updating the BIOS, battery should be > 10% charged and AC adapter should be connected. Please disconnect any external peripherals connected to the system.

You may download and install the latest versions from the link below:

http://dell.to/N6u34S

On the link, enter the system Service Tag and click on ‘Continue’. Select the operating system and it will display a list of available downloads. BIOS update would be listed under the ‘BIOS’ category and Wireless drivers would be located under ‘Network’ category.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. I will be glad to help.

5 Posts

October 15th, 2012 09:00

hi Gaurav

I use  Inspiron 5423 Base. And just for your information, I thought there was a problem with router so called broadband compamny and I have changed my router channel to 6. I dont know if this will make any difference.

but they confirmed that broadban is fine.

i will try those steps you provided and will get back to you.

Thanks

October 15th, 2012 09:00

Thank you for replying. Changing the channel might help. Please try the steps suggested in the previous post and let me know the result.

Feel free to reply in case of any issue. I will be glad to help.

5 Posts

October 16th, 2012 03:00

Hi

I have tried using internet in safe mode with networking and it works fine no problem with network.

What does this tell you?

My wireless driver is also updated and I have reinstalled my Macafee. I haven't tried browsing internet in normal mode.  Will do it in evening. And I could not find any option to change channel to 11 in my device manager. Can you tell me where to change this channel?

thanks

I am glad that the issue is resolved and system is working fine.

Let me know in case of any issues. I will be happy to help.

No Events found!