Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2012 22:00

No internet service with laptop using wireles route

I installed a Netgear wireless router to my Dell laptop. everything works great while everything is plugged into the laptop but as soon as I attempt to unplug the cords to go to another area of the house my internet connection is gone. I called Netgear for help and was told to call my ISP because my modem isnt working properly but how is that so if it works fine when all cables are connected? Is there anything I can do to correct this issue. I only have one Laptop by the way. 

September 3rd, 2012 04:00

Hi

Firstly, may I know how the wireless router is connected? Is it connected through a cable?

Also, if you can tell me what cables are connected to the laptop and in what all ports are they connected to?

You can follow these instructions to check if there is an issue with the wireless drivers:

1. Click the Start Button
2. Type “Device Manager” and press Enter
3. Click Continue if prompted
4. Click the [+] next to Network adapters

Please send me a screenshot of the Device Manager. If there is a question/exclamation mark, then I would suggest you to try updating the drivers for the wireless card from our support website i.e. www.support.dell.com

Please choose the system model and the corresponding Operating system.

Also, please send your system’s Service Tag and name on the account in a Private message so that I can check the system specifications.

Thanks & Regards
Vishal S
#iworkfordell

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 05:00

bluevn2002,

Did you ever setup your wireles router?

Try reading...

How to login to your wireless router and use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings I use channel 11. I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and post the information back here.

Rick

No Events found!