Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2014 03:00

No wireless connection after Windows reinstall

Hi,

I have an Inspiron 3521, with Windows 8 installed. I was having a lot of issues and blue screen errors with it last week, and after trying everything, I had to wipe the hard drive.

I used the disc that came with the laptop to reinstall Windows, but it was Vista for Business instead of Windows 8. I didn't mind too much, I just wanted to get it working, but after installing and logging in, I cannot connect via wi-fi. I downloaded and installed the drivers, and the network adapter appears fine under device manager, although in "Other Devices", there is a yellow exclamation mark beside network controller.

I don't know what to try next, would appreciate your help.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 24th, 2014 03:00

The Inspiron 3521 should not have came with a Dell Windows Vista Business Reinstallation DVD and you are not eligible to use it unless it came with Windows 8 Professional and you are exhibiting downgrade rights.

Dell do not provide Vista drivers for this model and you are better with Windows 7 or 8.1 64 Bit.

5 Posts

July 24th, 2014 05:00

Ok, what should I do then?

If I remove it and purchase Windows 8, will it work?

The Vista disc came in the box with the Inspiron 3521 for reinstallation, so this is not my fault.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 24th, 2014 06:00

Are you sure its Windows Vista? Did you purchase this system directly from Dell?

5 Posts

July 24th, 2014 07:00

Yes, when it loads it says Windows XP for Business.

No, I bought it in a store.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 24th, 2014 07:00

Now it says Windows XP? That's even less unlikely with this model.

This model should have only came with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.

On the computer do you have a sticker like these?

CoraProfessional

5 Posts

July 24th, 2014 08:00

Apologies, I meant it says Windows Vista for Business. I will try and get a screenshot of the loading page.

I do not have the computer with me right now, but I will check the sticker asap.

5 Posts

July 25th, 2014 07:00

The sticker on the left is on my laptop, and I double checked the load screen - Windows Vista Business

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 25th, 2014 12:00

The Inspiron 3521 has no Windows Vista drivers; just drivers for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. It is a new system:

http://ftp.dell.com/published/Pages/inspiron-15-3521.html

The Inspiron 1521 has Windows Vista and came out in 2007/2008:

http://ftp.dell.com/published/Pages/inspiron-1521.html

Confirm the model or private message me the systems service tag.

Also did you purchase Windows 8 as a retail upgrade? Did you create a .iso of it?

No Events found!