Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2015 21:00

Planning to change wifi mini chip in Inspiron 3521

I plan on changing the wifi chip mainly to get the 5GHz frequency due to the fact that 2.4GHz effects wireless controller to PS4. From what I know the chip just needs to be a Mini Card if I am correct. I'm planning to buy the Intel dual band wireless ac 7260.

My question is will this wifi card with the laptop? I'm assuming it will. Before I put new chip in do I need to remove the drives for the old chip? If so, like I was thinking where do I go under control panel to remove drives? For the drives for new chip I am guessing that I would find them at Intel not at Dell. If I would not get the drives from Intel please leave a note.

Anyone who could answer these few questions would be very helpful. I also know how to replace the wifi chip so that is not a concern.

1.8K Posts

July 22nd, 2015 13:00

Hi,

The 3521 uses a half-mini card wireless card, so yes the Intel 7260 will work in that system.  Just make sure you purchase a card that is designated "half mini card" or "HMC".   

Here is a link to the driver downloads for the Intel 7260 card.  Make sure you download the driver that is appropriate for whichever version of Windows that you are running.  You shouldn't need to remove any of the drivers for the current card, in theory.  But if you have connection problems after installing the new card and drivers you may then want to go in and remove the previous drivers.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Todd

August 10th, 2015 18:00

So I installed the Intel N 7260 wifi card. It was a breeze, expect it don't find the 5GHZ frequency at all. Another laptop with QUALCOMM wifi card can find and connect to the 5GHZ frequency of my router. According to Intel's specs, it is able to run 5GHZ but, it's not finding it with latest driver update or driver update uninstalled.

Any answers to this would be useful! I'm running a Netgear WNDR3400v2 router.

5 Posts

February 21st, 2018 17:00

Try Looking in your wifi adapter properties and make sure it is set to look for 2.4 and 5G.

9 Posts

February 27th, 2019 16:00

I have read about these upgrades. In some cases, you may need to change the antenna cables. I have the N 7260, i sees 5 G but, in the beginning, it worked fine. Somewhere a long the way, the speed only runs at 2.4 G capability. I installed the latest driver and it didn't make any difference. I am thinking the card has failed.

No Events found!