Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2010 18:00

Please help! need ethernet controller updates

I recently purchased Dimension 5100 from a friend, and installed XP on it, when attempting to install my new wireless adapter I found out that 1. there is no ip address and 2-there is no drivers for any of the "Other devices" listed on the Device Manager. The Ethernet Controller says

Device type: Other devices

Manufacturer: Unknown

Device status: this device is not configured correctly (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall

I have gone to the Dell driver page and downloaded every driver and yet it still will not work.  I have spent way too many hours trying to figure this out on my own could anyone please help! Again its a Dimension 5100, Dell Connolly E187242 motherboard

3 Posts

January 20th, 2010 19:00

The previous operating system was also XP but I didnt even check to see if it worked before I reformated, I just wipped it clean and started from scratch.

No I didnt get anything with it, just the desktop. 

I bought a Linksys Wireless-G USB adapter but I cant even install it because it needs and updated version of XP which I cant get, because I cant get online. Called my ISP and Linksys and they said I need to download the drivers from Dell, yet I cant find them, have downloaded all the drivers for my model and none has worked.. I am so frustrated.

13 Posts

January 20th, 2010 19:00

What was the previous operating system installed on the computer? Where you able to get the driver disc or utiltiy disc that comes with the laptop?

In installing the adapter have you tried manually locating the driver rather than doing it automatically?

You may also try to unplug and replug the adapter (you may try another PCI/PCIE port on your computer)

NOTE: if your trying to remove the adapter on the computer make sure it's unplugged from the power source.. just a precautionary measure...

Hope to hear from your updates.

Thanks

Doctor Scott.

1 Message

January 20th, 2010 22:00

Hi Carrie,

What is the exact model of wireless adapters you have been trying with (from Dell and Linksys)? If it is a recently released one, then i suspect they would not have support/drivers for XP in the first place or might need the latest service pack for the Operating System. Drivers for the Linksys card could be found from http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support and entering the model number of your card.

If you have a Dell provided Asus Wireless card on your system, try the link - http://in.asus.com/ProductGroup2.aspx?PG_ID=d1ZYpgq6iBbAabG3 - Click on WiFi Networking - Click "Client" - Select you model of wireless card - Click on Download tab - Select your OS from the drop-down and Start download.

All the best.

Rgds

Chris

13 Posts

January 20th, 2010 22:00

I do understand why your getting frustrated.

Just want to ask how can you go online as of the moment? are you on an Internet cafe or borrowing a friends computer?

You mentioned that you already got the Linksys Wireless-G USB adapter but have problems installing it because you might be using a Windows XP Service Pack 1 or 2.

Here are the options I could suggest for you.

OPTION 1:In case you have another PC.

If you have another desktop computer with a working Ethernet/NIC adapter, you may install the adapter to your computer. Be sure to have the drivers of the adapter before removing it on the other computer. Once your online you can update your Windows then install the Linksys Wireless-G USB adapter.

OPTION 2: Since you are able to get online.

To be able to update Windows XP and install the Linksys Wireless USB adapter on your computer. I advice you to download the Windows XP Service Pack 3 update on another computer.

After downloading the service pack 3 update. Burn it on a CD then run it on your computer to update the windows service pack 3.

To download the Windows XP Service Pack update see... http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e

Please take note the file is around 544.9 MB

That's for now, you may try these options and I hope it can help you. Just give me an update.

If you have time you may check out this site and see other articles that may help you with your concerns in the future. click here.

Thanks

DoctorScott

3 Posts

January 25th, 2010 11:00

Hey Chris,

I have a Linksys wireless-g usb adapter and yes you are correct I cant download those drivers because it needs service pack 3 which I cant get because I have no internet!! any other thoughts?

13 Posts

January 25th, 2010 18:00

If your not able to download the windows service pack 3 update, you may download it on another computer then burn it on a CD.

You may download it from the Microsoft Download Page site. See link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e

After downloading, you may install it on your computer, then after updating your Windows you may install your wireless-G USB adapter.

Thanks

No Events found!