Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2015 13:00

Plug In Ethernet Causes Computer Crash

Hello,

As of yesterday after a windows update my computer has started to crash as soon as I plug in my ethernet cable. I have a blue screen of death error code (partially cut off due to resolution) and a windows error associated with it as well. I attempted to do a system restore to an earlier point but I continuously get error code 0x80071a91 which leads to a failed system restore. If anyone has any advice on solving this issue I would greatly appreciate it. I have a Dell Aurora Desktop, my ethernet plug is directly connected to the motherboard, there is no ethernet card, I checked the hole where the ethernet plugs in to and the connectors are not bent or anything. Here are the errors associated with the problem. My hardware for the ethernet is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller and my computer claims that the device is working properly.

June 20th, 2015 17:00

I booted from my windows 7 repair disc and was able to restore my computer to an earlier point in time, specifically before the most recent windows update, and my computer is now running fine. I believe this suggests that something with the most recent windows update had either corrupted my system data or was conflicting with some software on my computer. As I stated previously, my problem was that every time I inserted the Ethernet cable in to my computer it would instantaneously crash and report the problems above. Despite the fact that my computer is now back up and running I would still like to know the root cause of this issue. Thank You.

June 22nd, 2015 21:00

So I completely resolved this issue, I understand that it was now caused by NORTON SECURITY SUITE. When opening Norton security suite select security, select manage firewall, select program rules. My program rules list was completely blank, Norton had somehow managed to forget all applications access levels... Due to Norton not allowing access to any programs my software was unable to connect to my router and saw the attempt as a threat and blue screened my computer. To resolve this issue I used FIREWALL RESET on my Norton program, this repopulated my program access list and distributed the correct access levels. I do blame Norton for clearing the list for no apparent reason but I respect them doing their job to the point it was blue screening my computer due to unauthorized access. This issue is now resolved. I hope this article can help someone else.

1 Message

June 28th, 2015 15:00

I had the same problem but I had a wireless internet connection. Every time PC booted up it would not make an Internet connection and PC would crash and I would get the blue screen. After reading your post I looked at Norton's and sure enough the same thing as you mentioned. I did a firewall reset and I was back in business. Thanks so much for your post!

July 3rd, 2015 18:00

You are welcome, I am happy to hear that my solution helped to fix your problem. It is a pretty ridiculous problem so I am glad I could save someone the time of troubleshooting their computer over something so simple.

1 Message

June 27th, 2019 06:00

@hire essay writers wrote:

You are welcome, I am happy to hear that my solution helped to fix your problem. It is a pretty ridiculous problem so I am glad I could save someone the time of troubleshooting their computer over something so simple.

I had similar issues with wireless connection on HP. It occured to be the problem with Windows 10 driver pack. I am considering switching to Linux now.

No Events found!