Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2011 21:00

Possible to turn off power to wireless antenna? (Dell 8300 XPS)

Hi, 

I'm setting up a new 8300 XPS and I am trying to stop the wireless card from broadcasting.  I have "disabled" the card.  I've check the CPU and I could not find an on/off switch for the LAN antenna.  I checked the manual and it only gives instructions for removing the card and/or antenna.  I suspect that's my only option but thought I'd check.  Is there a "non-invasive" way to turn off power to the wireless card or otherwise keep it from broadcasting?  Thanks!

TP

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 17th, 2011 13:00

Open Networking and Sharing Center, click on Manage wireless networks and make changes there. You can also disable the card in Network Connections. Click on Change Adapter Settings in Network & Sharing Center. There you can uncheck "connect automatically"  instead of disabling. Then you would only connect manually.  I assume you want to use the wired ethernet connection to the router or modem instead. It is the wireless router that broadcasts. Turn that off by using the router home page. Look up Networking in Windows 7 Help for more.

No Events found!