Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 4th, 2013 01:00

Problem when trying to connect to Wifi connection

Hi, 

I have an inspirion 1545 with Vista. Two days ago my internet stopped working all of a sudden, the laptop can pick up the available network but does not connect, I have reinstalled all the necessary software and have tried downloading the driver Intel(r) wifi 5100 several times which the laptop unzips but does not seem to run and is not found in the network adaptor section in device manager. I have reloaded all the drivers in the order given on various posts on this site but still no joy. I cannot seem to find where the computer downloaded the Intel(r) wifi5100 to. Can anyone help I am getting extremely frustrated????

1.3K Posts

May 7th, 2013 15:00

Hi Nick,

Looks like Operating system is corrupt here. Please back up your data and perform a PC restore.

Please find the link below for PC restore assistance.

http://dell.to/Wj1rZe

1.3K Posts

May 4th, 2013 10:00

Hi nickm222,

Try the below steps and let us know the outcome.

• Right-click the network icon in the notification area of your taskbar, and then click Troubleshoot problems

• Ensure Wi-Fi is turned on by Pressing Fn+F2 or the relevant Wi-Fi switch.

• Check if other computers are working fine in the same network.

• Check if wireless is working in Safe mode with networking. (To get to safe mode Tap F8 during start up and select safe mode using arrow Keys)

• Check if any firewall/antivirus is blocking from connecting through Wi-Fi.

• Power cycle router (If possible). Power off router for 2 minutes. Restart the computer. Power on the router and try connecting.

4 Posts

May 4th, 2013 11:00

HI
1) Windows Network Diagnostics, it says "there might be a problem with one or more network adaptors on this computer", "plug a cable into the network adaptor" this is not applicable as wifi connection.
2) It then says "view available wireless networks and connect to it and save it on the preferred network list", when I do that it brings up our wifi network (security enabled) and when I click on that and try to connect it says "Windows cannot connect to our network" it gives me the option to diagnose the problem or connect to a different network, which we do not have. ( We have an additional laptop which is working perfectly well using the exisiting internet connection).
When I press diagnose the problem it repeats "that windows cannot connect and tells me to view available wireless networks" which brings me back to square 1.
3) Wireless is not working in safe mode. It brings up a message " connection status unknown the dependency service or group failed to start".
4) I have used the system restore because of this ongoing problem and I believe my Driver and utilites failed to load correctly, I have tried this a number of times and have subsequently managed to obtain drivers via my 2nd computer onto a USB Stick and tried to load them. The Dell Wireless LAN Card facility when I run a diagnostic shows 5 synopsis and next to them the word "passed".
Any help would be much appreciated...it's getting a little frustrating now having been working on it for the past 3 days!!!
 Nick

4 Posts

May 10th, 2013 07:00

Hi Harish,

Thanks for your help, I have finally managed to get everything loaded and back to normal, hope it stays that way!! Thanks again for your efforts. Nick

4 Posts

May 10th, 2013 07:00

Hi Harish,

Thanks for your help, I have finally managed to get everything loaded and back to normal, hope it stays that way!! Thanks again for your efforts. Nick

1.3K Posts

May 10th, 2013 15:00

Hi Nick,

I am glad that the issue is resolved.  Post back if any issues.

This thread is locked, due to age.

If you need assistance, please create a new thread in the proper Dell Support Forum

Thank you

No Events found!