Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2009 10:00

Reformatted and no internet connection

I just reformated for the first time my dell dimensions 4700 tower and wanted to download all the required drivers and utilities.  I tried installing my dsl but the unit will not connect by my ethernet or usb ports.  What can I do?

2.4K Posts

May 28th, 2009 11:00

You must first load Desktop System Software and then Intel Chipset drivers before loading any other drivers. Here.

5 Posts

May 28th, 2009 12:00

Back then, I dont think Dell included any of the driver cds so the only cd I do have would be the XP home edition, monitor software, and a utilities cd for the 56k modem.  I cant install the DSL because theres no reading from the ethernet or USB.  Which I need to get online to download those files you listed.  Is there another way or should I somehow burn the required drivers onto a USB drive/CD and go from there?  Just wanted to see if there was another easier/absolute way.

1 Message

May 28th, 2009 12:00

I am also having the same problem, but with a 3000. My buddy bought it off someone and of course doesn't have the cd's. I was wondering what drivers I need to burn to disc to be able to get on the internet to update everything. Any help would be much appreciatted.

2.4K Posts

May 28th, 2009 14:00

After loading the two drivers stated above. Go into device manager and uninstall the usb drivers. Reboot and let them relaod and see if that works. Dimension 3000 drivers are here.

5 Posts

May 30th, 2009 21:00

Alright, I downloaded these following files recommended by pudgyone: 

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

The computer recognizes the ethernet drive now but once im installing the bellsouth dsl service, for the life of it it won't connect to the internet.  It will work on my labtop but not on the tower.  Suggestions?

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 00:00

I tried installing the network card driver and the third time was the charm.  Thanks everybody for the helpful advice.

5 Posts

August 26th, 2009 18:00

New problem showed up and i didn't want to clutter up the forum with a new topic so im adding it in here.  It looks like my USB ports are not working with any devices such as my printer or itunes since the reformat.

No Events found!