Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2017 05:00

SLOW WIFI

Hi, i just got new Dell inspiron 15 gaming, and wifi works here rly slow if i compare it to my old Lenovo. it lags even if i am truly near the router.... what to do, some drivers or would u change intel wifi connector? i have 14 days to return this product without reason and they would give me money back... but i rly like this laptop but that wifi is ....  Pls help

• 

17K Posts

September 7th, 2017 11:00

MatQ,

Below is information to help speed up your wifi in Windows 10.

Upgrade The Firmware Of Router And Adapters

Vendors of routers and adaptors keep on updating the firmware related to their products. The updates are available on the vendors’ websites. Make it a habit to check out these websites for updates at regular intervals. If you find any updates to your devices, upgrade them. This will not only enhance your products’ performance, but it also improves the security provided by the product.

Click in the Search field, type sysdm.cpl and press Enter. Step 2: Click the Advanced tab, then the Settings button in the Performance section. Step 3: Uncheck the box for Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing, then click Apply.

Windows 10 Wireless Networking Usage and Troubleshooting Guide for the Home

1 Message

September 15th, 2017 11:00

The solution for me was to go to Activity Center (Windows Key + A) and turn off "Location". My Wi-Fi speed is now consistent at the highest speed I am paying for and returns the same result on speed test as my wired connection.

Hope this helps, Bestia

1 Message

December 25th, 2017 14:00

Possible solutions to this issue: Update Driver, Power Cycle LAN and Reset Wireless Mode In Windows.

Try following steps to resolve the issue:

Download and install the latest Wireless Card driver. (www.dell.com/.../drivers) After updating the driver, re-establish the connection with the Wireless Access Point and check the wireless performance.

If the issue persists, proceed to step 2.

Power-cycle the local network. Shut down the Dell system, the Wireless Access Point/Router and the Modem. Wait a minimum of 60 seconds before powering up the components in the following order:

Power ON the Modem, and wait for it to boot fully.

Power ON the Wireless Access Point/Router, and wait for it to boot fully.

Power ON the Dell system.

Open Network and Sharing Center

In the left side navigation pane, click on Change Adapter Settings

Right click on the wireless connection icon and select Properties followed by the Configure button

Under Wireless Options, select the Wireless N mode​

For Windows 8 or later systems click the Advanced tab and look for 802.11n Mode on the right you will be given the option to Enable or Disable. If the mode is not visible you may need to update your drivers and firmware.

From the drop down menu, choose Disable followed by Ok

This should restore the wireless download and upload speed. Internet speed can be tested at http://speedtest.net/

Best Regards

Rezan -

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 17th, 2018 13:00

Hi, I have the Dell Precision M6600, and I've recently noticed that it doesn't work to its full capacity when I use Wifi rather than cable. My internet connection is 100 MB/s, and via cable, eveything works just fine. But I've tried to use wifi recently, and it seems that it limits the speed to 54 MB/s as if the old 802.11g is being used and not 802.11n.

Does anybody know how I can switch to the newer 802.11n to get the full 100 mb/s? Or you think the problem is not due to the wifi standard?

Thanks in advance, Lucas 

P.S. I've just checked on Dell website and it says that M6600 actually supports 802.11a/b/g/n, so in theory, I should be able to get the full 100 mb/s.

1 Message

April 14th, 2018 09:00

The best solution for me was to go to Activity Center (Windows Key + A) and turn off "Location". My Wi-Fi speed is now consistent at the highest speed I am paying for and returns the same result on speed test as my wired connection.

1 Message

May 10th, 2018 00:00

After doing this trick, my connection is still not very stable. Is it related to the hardware or something? 

Best regards, Deniel

1 Message

May 16th, 2018 14:00

I am also agree with this information for this issue. I hope you could solved your problem. Thanks

2 Posts

December 31st, 2018 12:00

I was having this issue with my new Inspiron 7000. I took your suggestion and turned off the location and my wifi speed went from 150 to 450. Thanks for the solution.

2 Posts

December 31st, 2018 12:00

This works. Wifi went from 150 to 450 after turning location off.

1 Message

May 12th, 2019 01:00

Thank you.  Turning location off solved my issues as well.  Went from 30Mbps to 250Mbps, which is what it should have been.  

Thank you!!

1 Message

October 29th, 2020 06:00

Omg, turning off my location works. It doubled my internet speed. Thanks so much!

No Events found!