Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2006 02:00

Slow bootup due to Subnet Mas I think.

Hello gang!
Last year I bought this here Dell system and it had a problem when booting! Well.......it had all kinds of problems actually, that led me to just now, today,replacing the hard drive. I have installed Windows XP Home  on my new drive but that old problem has crept up again.
Here goes.
After the fresh install of XP Home I setup my connection to the internet with my service provider using the "Connection Wizard".The problem is now when my system reboots it takes way too long. It seems to me that when I had this problem before ...somewhere in these forums someone had told me to do something with my IP settings or something that involved a "Subnet Mask"???
I cannot remember what that was so if any one could explain this to me ( as to why this slow down happens ) and the fix for it, it would be very helpfull!
Thanks
Dell 4700c,Pentium 4,3.00 gigahertz, 512 MB RAM,
Win XP Home, TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C(CD-ROM drive). High
Speed D-Link ADSL modem MODEL#DSL-300G
Norton Anti Virus 2004, Spybot, AdAware.

12K Posts

November 12th, 2006 03:00

What kind of connection do you have?  It sounds as though you were advised to configure a static Ip Address but I need some more information first.

Type of connection>Make Up of LAN

12K Posts

November 12th, 2006 11:00

Why not always connected?  Since there is no router involved, I am presuming but doubting, the adapter connection should be set to obtain address automatically.
A router would be some cheap firewall insurance for you to stop malware which I suspect is the underlying cause of all this.

141 Posts

November 12th, 2006 11:00

Sorry.
The connection I am trying to setup is a high speed Broadband account using an external "D-Link" modem.A dsl connection that is NOT always connected to the net or my server.A PPPOE. Does this help?
Geo

141 Posts

November 12th, 2006 13:00

Sorry, no malware or spyware or virus here. Please see my other post titled "Limited or no connectivity" for what I think might be a better understanding of what may be causing my problems. Sorry for the little runaround!
Thanks for replying too by the way!!!
George

Dell 4700c,Pentium 4,3.00 gigahertz, 512 MB RAM,
Win XP Home, TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C(CD-ROM drive). High
Speed D-Link ADSL modem MODEL#DSL-300G
Norton Anti Virus 2004, Spybot, AdAware.
No Events found!