Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2008 02:00

Studio 15 (vista) meets mini 9 (ubuntu) - let's talk....but how?

I just oredered the studio 15 laptop/mini 9 package for my son for school.  He intends to use the studio as a desktop replacement and the mini will move with him to class.  Knowing nothing about ubuntu I'd like to know what would be the best option for him in terms of transferring data easily from one to the other.  Neither has bluetooth (so don't go there).  Can an ethernet or wireless ad-hoc setup work easily?  Can it work between the two OSs (vista/ubuntu)?  Thanks in advance for your help

1.7K Posts

November 24th, 2008 11:00

A USB memory key is probably the easiest way to transfer data between Windows and linux (I do it all the time).  There are a few other methods if you have a network connection, such as using a Windows version of secure-copy (scp, I use the one included with PuTTY, pscp) to copy files across the network from the Windows machine to linux or pull them from linux box to Windows.  With the correct packages installed  the linux box will be able to see shared directories in Windows and move/copy files to and from that as well.

November 24th, 2008 22:00

Thanks Larry,  So ubuntu doesn't have a "briefcase"-type setup that allows files to quickly be transferred from the mini9 to another computer (specifically a vista pc)?  I was hoping that when I received the two from Dell (as a package deal) they would have forseen that need or was I being too optimistic???:emotion-40:

2.9K Posts

November 24th, 2008 23:00

Hawkinsinparis,

Nope, you weren't being overly optimistic.  The Mini9 comes with 2Gb of free online storage from Box.net.  I would think that would be the easiest way to share data between Vista and Ubuntu.  Personally, I would probably opt for using OpenOffice on the Mini9.  If you use MS Office on the Vista machine, you can share documents and spreadsheets directly between MS Office and Open Office.

Additional information on Box.net is available here: www.box.net

Additonal information on OpenOffice is available at www.openoffice.org

Hope this info helps reassure you that you have made a very wise choice.

Also note that the Dell Community Forum has a Linux board under Software and Operating Systems with experienced Ubuntu users to assist you and your son. It's located here:  http://en.community.dell.com/forums/3525.aspx?tid=3f925802-37c2-447a-a251-57c0052e3de6

Tony

No Events found!