Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2008 03:00

Studio 1535 Vista laptop not connecting to WPA wireless network

Hello

Hopefully you guys can help. I have a brand new Dell Studio 1535 laptop, running Windows Vista with a Dell Wirless 1397 Mini Card European. I first tried to connect to the wirelss network via a Netgear WGR614v4 with WPA security enabled. The card detected the network, but immediately failed to connect to it. It worked find with WEP and no security fine, but not with WPA.

Reformatted the laptop, updated the card drivers and router firmware. Still did not work.

Tried it on a different wireless network (Firebox Inventel router) where a different Dell laptop already worked with WPA security. Did not connect again, even with no WEP and no security. Gah!

Spent an hour on the phone to Dell technical support to try to sort out the Netgear-WPA problem, and even with a Netgear expert on the line they could not work out what was wrong. As soon as it tried to connect, it, erm, didn't.

Will again speak to Dell support on Monday to try to compare why my laptop does not connect to the Inventel router when another Dell laptop does.

Hope you can help.

G

November 11th, 2008 01:00

Update: Dell technical support have told me it is Microsoft's problem. Microsoft have told me it is Dell's. This is so ridiculous. I now have a laptop that only accesses wireless networks when it 'feels' like it. This is a brand. New. Laptop. One that was delivered over a month late and now does not work. And Dell refuse to go further than blame Microsoft. Am very disappointed.

2.4K Posts

November 11th, 2008 13:00

Press F8 at boot and run safe mode with network support. See if you can connect. If you can then you have something running in the background that is preventing your connection. (ie. firewall)

November 12th, 2008 03:00

Thanks for the reply, but already tried that. Also have turned of anti-virus, firewall et al.

Have reformatted it as well, and still no dice. Detects the network, just won't connect. Just says the settings are not compatible with the router, even when they have been directly cut and pasted.

The event log indicates:

Detailed root cause:

802.11 authentication failed due to status code 13: Responding station does not support the specified authentication algorithm (for eg. Open vs. Shared Auth)

Have tried adjusting the registry (twice, as suggested by a Microsoft Knoweldgebase article, something to do with Flags) but that was mainly to fix a failure to recieve an IP address.

Have run out of ideas.

G

November 20th, 2008 14:00

Further update. Dell took the laptop away, then brought it back again.

From the chit that came back with it, they claim to have done nothing more than re-install the OS. However, it now connects on WPA (but not WPA2, strangely) but the Dell Wireless WLAN Utility manager does not work. I click on it and nothing happens.

I think it is trying to open BCMWLTRY.exe but even when I fidn this application, it still won't work.

Not sure if they did something to make it stop working.

Suggestions would be welcome, otherwise it is back on the phone to technical support. Again.

G

September 5th, 2009 10:00

I have a inspiration 1545 shipped in August 2009 that has all the same issues.  Did anyone ever find out how this was really solved.  The dell tag on my new system is not recognized so tech support does not seem to be an option. 

2 Posts

February 9th, 2010 18:00

Funny but I have a Dell Studio Xps 13 with the broadcom wireless card in it an i keep having a similar annoyingly stupid issue. I am able to connect however while i am surfing, and at random unpredictable times, the wireless icon in the corner shows only local access,(not local and internet like it should when connected properly), and then i receive a page cannot be displayed error or a connection error and i have to hit refresh a few times in order to get the connection again.I sometimes have to restart the laptop to get a connection and boy is it annoying! I have read about similar issues being resolved by a simple driver update but this has failed for me. I had dell ship me out another adapter card and still the same issue. I did hear the rep mention something of a software issue before he reluctently sent me out the new adapter and to try usuing it in safe mode to see if i still had the prolbe. So far i have not had any issues in safe mode so im curious if this is a vista issue or maybe some other store installed program from this dell purchase. so my guess is the software is dookey...

No Events found!