Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2009 19:00

Studio 17 Internet DSL connection

Just got my new Studio 17, never had  a laptop. If I wanted to use my landline to get to the DSL, what kind of cable is needed/ is it the same as any telephone that plugs into any wall outlet, looks like the socket on the laptop is just a tad bigger, please help, don't want to btake any thing 

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

July 28th, 2009 19:00

The "looks like a phone cable but bigger"  socket on the laptop is for an ethernet cable - also known as a "cat 5" cable - which would connect to your DSL modem or your router.

Beyond that, though, there's an old saying - when in doubt, read the instructions.  :emotion-2:

Most likely you didn't get a paper manual,  but it should be on your computer in Start - All Programs - Dell - Documentation (or something like that) .  Or, you can read or download it from Dell directly - the Technology Guide would probably be the most useful for setting up an internet connection:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/studio1737/en/index.htm

1 Message

July 29th, 2009 09:00

Your DSL provider usually supplies a Catagory 5 RJ-45 ethernet cable with your cable modem. There are 2 types, a "Patch(straight through)" or "Crossover". Your DSL provider usually supplies the proper cable but, if they don't be sure to ask or read the supplied DSL modem instructions. It varies depending on the model of DSL modem provided on which type of cable you will need. Just an FYI...

No Events found!