Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2013 15:00

Switching Wireless Cards - Latitude E6540

Latitude E6540 came stock with Intel Advanced-N 6235 (2x2) card (w/ Bluetooth 4.0).  I don't NEED Bluetooth, so I want to change wireless cards to an Intel Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3) wireless card.

It SHOULD NOT be a BIOS wireless networking card white-list problem, as the Intel Ultimate-N 6300 is spec'd for some Latitude E6540 machines, and there is a DELL-supplied driver package for it.

Here is the link to the driver:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/Product/latitude-e6540-laptop?driverId=WPPGM&osCode=W764&fileId=3278136796&languageCode=en&categoryId=NI

I uninstalled (w/ delete drivers) the Intel Advanced-N 6235 and ProSet wireless; shut down and removed the card; cold rebooted to make sure everything was gone.

Installed the 6300 card, booted up and TRIED to install the Dell package... The package is giving me the following error:

Installation Blocked, This software package cannot be installed on your system. Please resolve these errors and retry installation.

Any ideas!?

Here's an image...

36 Posts

September 19th, 2013 18:00

Perhaps making progress?  I successfully installed the Intel ProSet Wireless Software package from the Intel site...  Latest v16.1.5 released on 09/12/2013.

And, browsing the Update Drivers for the card with the compatible box unchecked, under Intel Corporation, there are TWO versions of the Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN driver available and installed on the system:  v15.4.1.1 and the latest v.15.9.0.5 dated 06/16/2013.

Perhaps with the latest ProSet ALREADY installed, AND the drivers ALREADY present, I can simply do a card swap:

Shut down computer, remove battery, and hold power switch for 30 seconds.

Remove 6235, and reboot... let system fully load and work on ethernet for a while...

Shut down computer, remove battery, and hold power switch for 30 seconds.

Install 6300 card and reboot... and see what happens...  :)

But first, I am going to go install the latest BT driver package from Intel... the BT part of the 6235 is using MS drivers right now...

36 Posts

September 19th, 2013 22:00

Latest Intel BlueTooth Driver package FROM Intel site installed successfully...

Cleaning up system to re-image it again BEFORE I try the card switch...

36 Posts

September 20th, 2013 15:00

Nope...  "No joy"

Did card switch and the driver installs but get "No Connections" and a message that no wireless adapter is installed.  ProSet Diag says that the card isn't bound to the transport...  Card shows in Device Manager and looks correct.

Re-imaged and am back to the 6235...

Any other ideas?

Why doesn't a card that Dell supports in this laptop not work?

Dell uses the Intel Dual Band 7260 AC in one of the other laptops... any chance I might get that one to work?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 20th, 2013 16:00

cautery1,

Trying to look to see what program controls your adapter. Did you try allowing Windows to manage your connection?

Try any of the drivers from

http://ftp.dell.com/published/Pages/latitude-e6540-laptop.html

Rick

36 Posts

September 20th, 2013 16:00

ProSet is currently managing WiFi...  I was going to try to switch management to Windows earlier, but once you switch cards, ProSet grays out the option because as far as it knows there is no adapter to manage...  Once I rest up some, I might try switching it to windows with the 6235, and do another card switch to see what happens, but I don't see what would make anything different...

I've tried the drivers available at that link... I've tried every available driver from BOTH Dell and Intel...  I am currently on the latest Intel provided drivers for both the wireless and Bluetooth.... v 16.1.5

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

September 24th, 2013 08:00

Hi CAUTERY1,

Please try one last time by updating the driver from the Device Manager. Right click on the wireless card in the Device Manager and select update driver. Give the path to the driver download from the Dell website that is C: dell/drivers

Even after this, if you are unable to update the driver, I suspect the card might be the issue.

36 Posts

September 24th, 2013 18:00

Still didn't work...

I've submitted and RMA for a replacement card.  I will post back when I try the new card.

Please leave this thread open until then, please.

Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

September 25th, 2013 04:00

Hi CAUTERY1,

Sure, I will wait for your response. Please let me know if you need any assistance.

1 Message

November 18th, 2013 10:00

Hi. Just to clarify: Is it possible to upgrade the wireless card in the E6540 (which I only see as having Intel 6235 and 6300 as options) to the newer Intel 7260 wireless card (with 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac + Bluetooth 4.0 LE)? Does it already have all the antenna support and drivers?

36 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 13:00

Don't know... but I am fixing to try.  Dell is listing the 7260+BT4.0 as a part for the E6540 now (although I can't find a way to get Dell to sell me one).  So I am going to try an Intel version.

Hopefully it will work.

Personally, I think the whole 6300 problem was due to a Dell imposed whitelist that no one will admit to....

In any event, I am moving to an AC Router, so I nee AC cards in my laptops.

1 Message

August 23rd, 2015 16:00

Driver removal program?  I do not have one for my Studio 1747 and I am  sliding the 7260 in to the hole left by the original factory POS.  Bluetooth seems to be the hold up on mine.  Haven't they figured this out yet?

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2017 10:00

Some Years later....

I've also a Latitude E6540 (Late 2013) and would like to switch the card from 6235 to th 7260 model...

Is there an easy way which would work - was there a solution to this issus here?

No Events found!