Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2010 14:00

The default gateway is not available

I bought my mother a new Inspiron 17R.   She really mostly needs it for internet and email.  I set it up at my house, and was able to access the internet via my wireless connection just fine.   I brought it to her house, it connected fine there also.  For a couple of weeks everything was fine.  Then suddenly it lost ALL connectivity to the internet.   When I troubleshoot the connection, the error message is "default gateway is not available".    This occurs both on the wireless connection at my mother's house AND back at my own wireless connection at my house.   At the same time, multiple other computers continue to connect without issue to both networks, so we can rule out a problem with the modem and/or the WAP.   I went back to a Windows restore point when I know that the connection was working, but even after that I continue to have the same problem.  

I've also tried connecting via an ethernet cable directly to the router.  Same result. 

To add insult to injury, the DELL tech support web site pretty much times out when I try to log on there to find out any info.  I can't even add the new service tag to my account.     Any help you can provide would be appreciated.   Right now the device is just an expensive doorstop for all the use it is to my mother.

I tried to do some research online (not on the uncooperative DELL site), as a result of that I tried a couple of things like checking the default gateway value under network connection details.  It shows as 192.168.1.1 which should be correct.  Also I  unchecked the TCP/IPv6 option under Wirless network properties.   

Network  Card is Broadcam DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card. 

2 Posts

June 17th, 2013 10:00

Three years later and I just bought a brand new 17r Inspiron from Dell, and am having the same issues you are having. If they haven't fixed it in three years, I will probably send the replacement back they are sending me as well. :(  

October 31st, 2017 03:00

If you’re getting this error on Windows 10, be sure that you have the latest Ethernet driver installed. To install it, just visit your motherboard manufacturer’s website and go locate the latest Ethernet driver for your device. After you download it, install it and the problems with gateway should be fixed.

Some users claim that you can fix this problem by changing the Power Management settings of your network adapter. To do that, follow these simple steps:

1. Press Windows Key + X to open Power User Menu and select Device Manager from the list.

2. Locate your network adapter and double click it.

3.Once the Properties window opens, go to Power Management tab and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Click OK to save changes.

Reference Links if you have any other issues:

answers.microsoft.com/.../abd587f2-7682-4e6a-9543-44001ce23ec0

www.techwhoop.com/.../

1 Message

January 20th, 2018 07:00

Here are some methods for the default gateway is not available windows 10 error. So follow these Solutions to resolve this issue so that you can get rid off the problem within seconds.

FIX 1: BY USING NETSHELL RESET COMMAND

Most of the times when users complained about the default gateway are not available error the reason can be in the TCP/IP, and can be removed by resetting the TCP/IP. Now you are thinking how to do that?? So don’t worry here we will explain you the full procedure how to fix this, you just need to follow the given steps:

Step 1: Open the Command prompt on Your device, but remember open command prompt as Admin.

Step 2: To open netshell, type “netsh int ip reset”, in command prompt and hit enter.

Step 3: After restarting your device check if the error is gone or not, if yes Congrats!!! Else try another fix.

1 Message

January 20th, 2019 00:00

Hi Guys, I have tried to log a call with dell support but they havent gotten back to me. I have a DELL 7920 workstation with Windows 10 Pro. Getting the same default gateway error, connecting via a network cable. I have tried the command above, disabled and enabled network adapter, several LAN cables on different vlans, changed the power settings, upgraded the ethernet drivers, updated windows updates (and there were a couple) and still no luck.. any other ideas??

2 Posts

October 1st, 2019 20:00

I bought a reconditioned laptop from Dell and it has been back for repairs twice for this same issue.  They have basically replaced all the guts and it still has the problem.  I have all drivers and Windows up to date and still have the problem.  I just know when I start up the laptop, that I am going to have to run troubleshooter to get the wifi connected.  I wish I could get it fixed and I have tried every fix that I could find on the internet and nothing works. From what I read, this started back with Windows 8 and nobody knows how to fix this - really!!!!!!!

1 Message

May 16th, 2020 15:00

I have found the best solution of your problem i can share the whole docs file by   . are you available there

2 Posts

September 24th, 2020 16:00

could you send me a step by step? im not very tech savvy and im having this issue. wifi keeps dropping.

2 Posts

September 24th, 2020 16:00

i also forgot to mention i have the new Dell xps 15 9500

No Events found!