Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2012 17:00

Two Dell laptops "Media Disconnected" simultaneously

Time-Warner upgraded our system, and that meant replacing their modem and my wireless router with their modem/router -- a Motorola that support b/g/n. We went from 15 Mb/sec to 50, but not without one problem. My wife's new Inspiron laptop running Win 7 connects without problem, and initially a Studio laptop running Vista SP2 and an Inspiron notebook running XP Pro SP3 did as well, although data speeds were not too good because the internal antenna in the Motorola do not have the range that the external ones on my Linksys does. Suddenly, both stopped connecting. They see the wireless nework, but can't connect (security is WPA2-PSK).

The only problem I've found is both respond with Media Disconnected when using ipconfig in Command box. I've tried all the fixes I can find, but nothing seems to work. It has to be related to the new modem...both have the same issue at the same time? I've unplugged the modem but that doesn't help, and I find no settings that account for any issue. Both the laptop and notebook have always connected reliably. They are both (as far as I know) 802.11g, not 8012.11n.

Of course, Time-Warner wants to fix the issue, but in the week since upgrading, the one tech who came out to fix the issue was mystified. I'm going to have someone with more experience with wi-fi out from them next, but this seems like something I should (and must) fix.

Here's the best part. Every mobile device (Galaxy S, Galaxy S3, Droid Razor, Nexus 7, iPad, iPod) all connect..

Any and all suggestions welcomed. 

9 Posts

August 30th, 2012 07:00

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Eduardo B>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : eduardo

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network

Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-CE-62-9F-49

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Win32 Adapter V9

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-A4-83-5A-68

C:\Documents and Settings\Eduardo B>

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 30th, 2012 12:00

Eduardo_b,

Try power cyclying your routers. A power flicker or an electrical storm sometimes causes problems for some wireless devices.

Power off your ISP modem/router and your wireless router(if any) for 30 seconds. Then power on the ISP modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router(if any)

Restart the computer and try to connect.

Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

When you first got the computer9s) ws McAfee installed? If yes, did you use the McAfee Removal Tool to remove it? If not, maybe there is something left from McAfee that caused the problem.

Start, control panel, device manager, network adapter, Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card, advanced.

Look for Antenna Diversity. Change it from Auto to Aux.

Restart our computer.

XP, try running WinSock XP Fix

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 29th, 2012 21:00

Eduardo_b,

Try reading...

Software Updates Causes Wireless Connectivity Issue Or Unable to Connect to Internet

If the article does not help solve the problem, Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID, if using XP, run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here.

Also include the virus program and firewall you're using.

Rick

9 Posts

August 29th, 2012 23:00

The first link won't help because the issue isn't about getting on the Internet but simply connecting to AP (modem/router). The second looks more promising. I'll run it tomorrow morning. The firewall is in Zone Alarm Extreme (Windows firewall is off on every computer) and the modem/router DHCP IP is a trusted zone. I've used this software firewall (many versions) for so many years I  can't remember when i didn't use it. Anti-virus is Zone Alarm and Super Anti-Spyware. I've used many otheers, but these two are compatible and more reliable than any I've tried, and have been on both laptop and notebook (and desktop) from the beginning.

Not sure the final suggestion will work. A common aspect to Media Disconnected is that ipconfig commands cannot be processed because of the issue itself. I've looked at dozens of threads on this, and the solutions are numerous depending on the specific circumstances. I've tried many of the suggested remedies, but nothing worked. Even uninstalling and reinstalling WLAN card drivers didn't have any effect. Updating Dell drivers didn't help either.

I'll get back with additional information. Thanks for your reply.

Ed 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 30th, 2012 04:00

Ed,

We recently had problems with McAfee. The first article also included an update from Windows at the same time.

Zone Alarm your ip addresses need to be added to the safe zone. There is a feature that will stop all internet activity in the settings of zone alarm. I haven't used zone alarn for a while, since one of their updates disabled my wireless adapter.

Rick

9 Posts

August 30th, 2012 07:00

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Eduardo>systeminfo

Host Name: EDUARDO-PC
OS Name: Microsoftr Windows VistaT Home Premium
OS Version: 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner: Eduardo
Registered Organization:
Product ID:
Original Install Date: 8/20/2008, 15:14:13
System Boot Time: 8/30/2012, 05:57:44
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Studio 1735
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~
2500 Mhz
BIOS Version: Dell Inc. A04, 8/1/2008
Windows Directory: C:\Windows
System Directory: C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume3
System Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Input Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone: (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Total Physical Memory: 3,581 MB
Available Physical Memory: 2,381 MB
Page File: Max Size: 7,347 MB
Page File: Available: 5,874 MB
Page File: In Use: 1,473 MB
Page File Location(s): C:\pagefile.sys
Domain: WORKGROUP
Logon Server: \\EDUARDO-PC
Hotfix(s): 33 Hotfix(s) Installed.
[01]: {AC76BA86-A440-0000-A440-7A8C400A1014} -
[02]: {AC76BA86-7AD7-0000-2550-7A8C400A1014} -
[03]: {3B45CBBB-5CA1-44FB-9885-ACC81F76521E}
[04]: KB939772
[05]: KB905866
[06]: KB935509
[07]: KB937287
[08]: KB938371
[09]: KB941693
[10]: KB945518
[11]: KB945533
[12]: KB946776
[13]: KB946927
[14]: KB947562
[15]: KB947864
[16]: KB948278
[17]: KB948590
[18]: KB948643
[19]: KB948881
[20]: KB950126
[21]: KB950186
[22]: KB950759
[23]: KB950760
[24]: KB950762
[25]: KB951376
[26]: KB951698
[27]: KB952714
[28]: KB955430
[29]: KB970158
[30]: KB970159
[31]: KB973442
[32]: KB981889
[33]: KB948465
Network Card(s): 3 NIC(s) Installed.
[01]: Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Connection Name: Local Area Connection
[02]: TAP-Win32 Adapter V9
Connection Name: Local Area Connection 2
[03]: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card
Connection Name: Wireless Network Connection

C:\Users\Eduardo>

9 Posts

August 30th, 2012 13:00

Already unplugged and restarted router. Plus we live where all utilities are underground and thunderstorms are very rare.

If you mean are wi-fi symbols illuminated, the answer is yes on both computers, and I've tried the switches on both.

About winsock fix: Zone Alarm says there's a virus in it (Super AntiSpyware finds nothing) -- not-a-virus:HEUR:WebToolbar.Win32.InstallCore.gen

You ever used this utility? Is this not actually a virus?

Changed antenna setting for 1397 WLAN but it didn't make a difference. 

Windows Mobility shows not connected (what else) and all settings appear correct including advanced.

Ed 

9 Posts

August 30th, 2012 14:00

By the way, I'm not getting e-mail notifications about when there are replies to this thread.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 30th, 2012 19:00

Ed,

Try...

Start, all programs, accessories, right click on command prompt, left click run as administrator. Type

netsh winsock reset catalog

This will reset the winsock catalog

or

Winsock2 How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista

Rick

9 Posts

August 31st, 2012 09:00

Well, for Vista "fixing" winsock had no effect. I've tried disabling and reenabling the WLAN adapter to no effect as well.

I'm comfortable editing registry -- been doing it for years -- and am wondering if there are keys for media disconnect that can be reset from 1 to 0. 

9 Posts

August 31st, 2012 22:00

Rick,

In all the years I've had to find solutions to any number of Windows-related issues, there was always a solution waiting to be found. And this is the case with this issue, but not the one I had expected. Having read dozens of threads on this topic and trying all the potential solutions, including the many you provided here, the search for an answer became circular. i was seeing the same advice in different places, including Microsoft. So as I was reading a rather long thread this morning, I saw two things that made me reevaluate my approach. One was that this is not an uncommon problem -- this being media disconnected -- but in more than a few cases no "solution" ever worked, and the other was that the original poster of the problem eventually bought a LAN card and circumvented the hardware in his laptop.

So I did some research and discovered a large number of USB 802.11n WLAN products on the market now. I purchased identical Netgear versions of these mini-USB WLANs, installed the drivers on the laptop and notebook, inserted the hardware, pushed a button on each one, then the WPS button on the modem/router, and a couple minutes later I was connected. Done. Of course, the internal antenna on the Motorola moden/router is close to useless beyond a dozen feet, so that it an issue for Time-Warner to solve, and they will end up reimbursing me for the new hardware I bought, but at least I've found a way around an irresolvable issue. I've disabled all the network adapters on both computers.

The throughput is pathetic at this point (just under 15 MB/sec), but I'm making this Time-Warner's problem to fix, and I'll likely never know what the modem/router did that caused both laptop and notebook to simultaneously acquire this problem, but a solution that works is better than nothing. Thanks for your time and effort.

Ed 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 1st, 2012 14:00

Ed,

Did you try this...

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

Sorry to hear there was this type of issue all at the same time. There was an issue with McAfee and it has also caused problems.

Rick

9 Posts

September 1st, 2012 22:00

I'll see about this registry entry in Vista, but in one of those odd twists, perhaps the end result is 802.11n connectivity on these laptops as a result of trying to fix an issue and ending up with something that in the long run will be better.

No Events found!