Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 11th, 2011 19:00

Unable to print to Wireless printer after powersaver mode or turning off/on

I have a Dell v715w all-in-1 wireless printer, belkin 9231 G router, & dell inspiron 17 with Windows 7
All 3 devices are in the same room.

I've disabled all security/firewall settings on my belkin router and I still can't get my printer to print! The DHCP client list shows it's connect to the LAN, but for some odd reason I can't send a print job to it through the router/network.  This happens AFTER the printer goes into sleep/powersaver-mode or has been turned off/on.

The only thing that works is that I have to uninstall/reset the printer, reboot modem, router, and computer, then reinstall the printer with the usb connected and it will finally print.  If it stays in eco-mode, then it'll print.  I don't print often, but when I need to then that's when the printer doesn't seem to want to connect to the network/router.  I've checked all the settings and it is connecting to the correct network (there are no neighbors in my rural area)... TCIP/IP settings ok.
The printer's network light is green so it's connected, but I'm unable to communicate with it.
What is the point of having a wireless printer if you can't even print wirelessly with it?!!?!?!?  I want to smash it like I'm in "Office Space" movie!!!  When I first got it, I called Dell tech support after 8hrs of trying to fix it myself, then spent 3hrs on the phone - they even troubleshooted my router, turned out to be the router settings - but then had same problem again the next day!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2011 04:00

aliaydin81,

Questions are...

Did you ever get the Dell V715w printer on your network?

I have my V715w set for Eco-mode and it goes to sllep on it's own after 10 minutes. It stays like that 24/7until someone sends a print job to the printer. Have had different Dell Studio models, Dell Inspiron B130 and had no problems.

What type of security are you using the the Belkin? Had an issue with a Belkin wireless N where it could not determine the difference between WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal) and WPA-AES.

Rick

January 12th, 2011 07:00

Yes, I was able to get it on the network after initial setup.  I was able to print wirelessly as long as it was in eco-mode.  Once it went to sleep from being idle
or turned off/on, then I wouldn't be able to print again unless I uninstall printer, reboot modem/router/computer, reinstall printer.  Sometimes it would just let me reboot modem/router/computer without having to uninstall/reinstall printer.  But other times it wouldn't let me.

I've tried it with all types of security settings, then just turned off all network security - since we live in rural area and no neighbors to mooch off my network.
I've even tried it by updating router firmware and turning on/off router firewall. 

I can see that it's connecting to network (by viewing connections listing via typing in 192.168.2.1 in browser which shows all the router details) but unable to communicate with it from my computer.  I even tried to send print job from another laptop and it doesn't work either.

Should I connect the printer to the router via ethernet cable?  They aren't close but I could rearrange the room.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 12th, 2011 09:00

aliaydin81,

I use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. If you decide to use these settings, the wireless printer and other wireless devices will need setup just like you did when you first installed the router and/or attached the wireless devices.

I leave the printer on Eco-mode. Do NOT turn the printer oss or hit the power save button. The printer will wake on it's own when someone tries to print or wants to scan something. If using Dell Printer Home to scan something, this works well. If you want to copy something, you have to press the flashing power button to wake the printer from Eco-mode. Select copy/scan, then press start. When done, do nothing. I keep mine covered 24/7 with a cover, except the paper tray exit.

Also try these tweaks on all the computers in your home.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

January 12th, 2011 17:00

I've tried all of those suggestions and I'm still unable to print.  I just get error message that says  'communication not available'.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 13th, 2011 02:00

aliaydin81,

Walk over to the printer and press the power switch. Let the printer cycle. What color is the WiFi Light? Orange or Green?

If Orange, we'll have to setup the printer.

If Green, the try to print. What happens?

Rick

January 13th, 2011 06:00

The light is green.  It's always green.  I see the printer connected to my network thru the router details (by opening up 192.168.2.1 on browser).
When I try to print the printer does nothing.  An error message on my computer says that it is unable to communicate with the printer.  Something is preventing my computer from communicating with the printer through the network/router.  I've disabled all possible settings that might prevent it.
Each time I uninstall/reset printer, reset modem/router, reinstall printer - it will work.  I make sure it's in eco-mode.  I'll print something.  Then I'll turn off my computer.  The printer's window will eventually go dark, green ON button, & green Eco-mode button ON.  When I turn on my computer, the next day or so, and try to print, I get the error message.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 13th, 2011 14:00

aliaydin81,

After you print something, do nothing to the printer, it should go to eco-mode on own, since the button is pressed.

What virus program and firewall are you using?

What type of security are you using in the wireless router?

What channel?

Rick

January 13th, 2011 16:00

The last time that I was able to print, I checked to make sure that it is in eco-mode.  The eco-mode button was green.  Now the on/off button is flashing green and the eco-mode button is off.  The display screen is black.  I'm assuming it's in sleep mode.  Once the computer goes to sleep like this and I try to print, I get the error message.

virus program - avg 2011

firewall - windows firewall

router security - none

channel - 11

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 13th, 2011 16:00

aliaydin81,

That is correct. If you send a print job, it takes a minute to wake the printer and the print job should then print. I have mine like that all the time.

Differences, you're using AVG and I'm using FREE Avast Home Edition

You're using NO Security and I'm using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11.  If you decide to change the security, I recommend changing the SSID to make connecting easier. You'll als have to set the printer up, again.

Also try these tweaks on your computer(s)

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 15th, 2011 15:00

aliaydin81,

Had an issue with another person and their Belkin wireless router could not determine the differene between WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal) and WPA-AES,thus causing the wireless printer adapter from connecting. Try dropping back the security to WEP and set the printer up and it should connect. If it does, then the Belkin is the issue and is causing these problems.

Using Ad-Hoc, you have to connect every time the computer is started and that gets old after a number of times.

Rick

7 Posts

January 15th, 2011 16:00

I am having the same exact problem, I spent weeks playing tag with tech support, when we finally gotta WHOLE afternoon to sit down and go over the problem, support just had me do all the same stuff I did when I first got the printer...  After all was said and done, the only thing I can do after the printer goes to sleep and any of my computer attempt to print to it, is have someone or myself unplug and plug the printer back in again, no just turning it on does not get rid of the communications error, really nice printer, unfortunately nothing can fix this major flaw, I really wish I could just leave it on all the time without ECO or SLEEP modes :(

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 16th, 2011 14:00

BuzzyJr,

A new thread in the Dell Printers Forum would be nice.

Make and model of your wireless router is helpful. Please list the type of security, channel used and if you're using mixed mode.

Also list the make and model of your computer(s) and operating system(s) 32-bit or 64-bit?

Make and model of your printer and how you're trying to connect the printer to your computer.

Rick

7 Posts

January 17th, 2011 13:00

Brighthouse Tampa Lightning Wireless N router SMCD3GN (SMCD3GN-TWC)

Dell XPS 9150/XPS 400 Windows 7 Ultimate 64

HP Pavilion Vista Home 32

HP Netbook Windows XP Home 32

Dell V715w Printer

Why open new thread in printer forum if this thread pertains to my problem???

Thanx all ! !

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 17th, 2011 14:00

BuzzyJr,

This can make the thread confusing as information can get mixed and can contribute to aliaydin81, trying something different.

The wireless N router will need to use the Wireless g mode to communicate with the printer. I recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11.  

Go to the printer and press the power button. If you have the Eco-mode button pressed, then let the printer do it's own thing. It should go back to sleep and blink the green power button. This is normal.

The computer with Windows 7 64-bit, did you use the printer disk to install and have the computer online to download the updates?

Try these tweaks...

Restart your computer.

Rick

7 Posts

January 21st, 2011 15:00

Well, exhausted all those resources...  Still doing it...  Do you know of the error screen that I am speaking of???

No Events found!