Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2012 07:00

Upgraded Vostro 3350 Wifi adapter to Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230. Get 54Mbps max connection

Recently replaced the standard 1030 wifi adapter in my Vostro 3350 laptop with a  Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230. Installation went well as far as recognizing and installing new drivers concerned. Also my 5Ghz AP of my dual band router (Asus RT-66U) now shows up. However when it comes to speed I only get a 54Mbps maximum connection, either on 5Ghz of 2.4Ghz.

I modified the advanced settings of the adapter (channel width, QoS WMS, etc. but to no avail.
I tested the antenna connections with the adapter and they seem to function correctly, however it seems like no channel bonding is taking place.A
Latest intel drivers installed, latests router firmware, etc.
When I set the router to "N-only" I can no longer connect

Any suggestions?

Edit: Connection is WPA2 + AES

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 16th, 2012 14:00

Atomzk,

If my memory serves me correctly, WPA-AES is the fastest connection, but not all wireless devices will connect to WPA-AES.

You can try the setting to match My Intel WiFi 5100 AGN Connectivity Settings the adapter should be similar.

Also try...

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Create a Power Plan

Select High performance.

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

4 Posts

June 16th, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Thanks, but the router will do AES just fine. Connection is WPA2 / AES. Also tried the disable power management thing, but it has no effect.

Thinking about trying a Knoppix CD to see if it works with Linux, but no idea if this adapter is supported and I'm not that into Linux.

1 Message

February 5th, 2013 09:00

www.intel.com/.../cs-025643.htm

Intel WiFi Products

Data rate will not exceed 54 Mbps when WEP or TKIP encryption is configured

Symptom(s):

Client device's Wi-Fi data rate will not exceed 54 Mbps when wired equivalent privacy (WEP) or temporal key integrity protocol (TKIP) encryption is configured.

Cause:

The IEEE* 802.11n draft prohibits using high throughput with WEP or TKIP as the unicast cipher. If you use these encryption methods (for example, WEP, WPA-TKIP), your data rate will drop to 54 Mbps. The latest Intel® wireless adapter client drivers connect using a legacy IEEE 802.11g connection rather than failing to connect altogether, which complies with the IEEE 802.11n draft.

Solution:

Contact your Wi-Fi access point (AP) or router manufacturer to download the latest firmware version, or get information on particular models supporting High Throughput.

Disable packet bursting or similar features

Configure the Wi-Fi client device's profile to use Wi-Fi Protected Access* (WPA2-AES or WPA2-TKIP).

Configure the AP or router to match the client profile.

4 Posts

February 26th, 2013 15:00

I just followed the Dell installation guide. Perhaps you should remove the old drivers first.

I'm planning on removing this adapter though. It seems like I will never get a better data rate anyway and also the connections are less stable.

4 Posts

I'm using WPA2-AES by default, however this does not make the data rate exceed 54Mbps

9 Posts

I was unable to install this same Intel Wifi adapter in my Vostro 3460 and Vostro 3555 today. Both machines either beeped endlessly after install or never showed me display after boot.

Any tips on how you got those Intel Wifi cards installed successfully?

No Events found!