Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2006 13:00

Verizon PC Card: PC5740 Not Recognized by Inspirion 6000.

When I insert my Verizon PC Card (PC5740) in my Inspirion 6000 - it either freezes, or does not recognize the card.
It says to either "retry" (which I've done and get the same error) - or replace the PC Card.

The verizon people said I need to replace the drivers - The Dell people said I need to replace the motherboard.
Which is correct - what do I do?

2K Posts

March 29th, 2006 16:00

Does the 6000 have TWO slots? If so, are you putting it in the bottom slot? The top? Sometimes it matters, especially the first time.

5 Posts

March 29th, 2006 18:00

It only has one slot. :-(

5 Posts

March 29th, 2006 19:00

Sorry - not sure what you mean - - I have wireless internet service through Verizon Broadband Wireless -
The PC Card is UTStarcom/Audiovox PC 5740  
The internal Wi-Fi Adapter (internal Wi-Fi Card) is the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Conection

2K Posts

March 29th, 2006 19:00

Independent of this card's problem, what is the brand and model of the wireless access point you are wanting to mesh with?

2K Posts

March 30th, 2006 13:00

The fact that the computer is Dell then seems incidental to

* PC card is Verizon

* service is Verizon

It seems to me that support should also be Verizon. Do you agree?

5 Posts

March 30th, 2006 15:00

I did contact verizon and was on the phone with their technician for several hours. . . . The resolution was that I did not have the correct drivers for the PC Card.

Verizon directed me to Dell who said I would need to replace the motherboard.

My question is - before I go out and buy a new motherboard or laptop - is there ANYTHING else I can do?!?!?

2K Posts

March 30th, 2006 15:00

If the problem were mine, I would try to borrow from someone their (different model and brand) PC card wireless and see if it will set up and work to make the wireless connection. If it DOES work then you have the option of buying and using that same card. Even if it does not work totally, the set of symptoms may be different and one or the other may be a problem which can be solved. When I am troubleshooting, ANY change in symptoms makes me happy, even if the situation is (temporarily) worse. The worst kind of problem is when nothing you do makes any difference (let alone any improvement) of the symptoms are so intermittent and random to make any connection with any action on your part. The best.

2 Posts

September 29th, 2006 00:00

I just found some additional information regarding the Inspiron 6000 and and Verizon PC cards:

2 Posts

September 29th, 2006 00:00

I also have an Inspiron 6000 and have spent endless hours trying to get the Verizon PC5740 to install.  After spending hours talking to Verizon techs and Dell support, I'm advised that the Inspiron 6000 has known issues with a number of PC cards, including this one.  I'm told the Dell engineers are working to find a fix to address an apparent conflict between the Ricoh PC card bus in the Inspiron and the Verizon PC5740.  Note that I also tried the Sprint broadband card with the same problem.

I also installed the Verizon card in an older Inspiron 5200 and it worked fine.

Dell's current position is that they will replace my motherboard, apparently with one that contains a different PC card bus.  I'm hesitant to do this (even though Dell is willing to do it for free, under warranty), in that I fear that the replacement of an otherwise perfectly good motherboard will lead to other problems with my notebook.

I'm searching for information about Verizon's other Broadband PC cards- the Kyocera or the V620 or V640 in the hope that one of these cards will work with the Inspiron 6000.  I may go to the Verizon store to see if they'll let me try these cards before I buy one.

I have read in this forum that the Kyocera card has the same problems as the PC5740, but have found nothing about the V620 or V640.  It would be nice if we heard from someone who has used these cards in the 6000.

March 16th, 2007 05:00

Thank you for the info, what it takes to get to the truth.
No Events found!