Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

May 20th, 2008 14:00

Vista, Latitude D820 and Wireless Card

OK, situation is as follows. If I am on the road, I can hookup to any public wireless network, without a problem.

(1) If I try to hook up to my home broadband which is connected to wireless router (with WPA), I can't. If I add a USB wireless, then I can access the wireless router without a problem.

(2) If I try to hook up to a friend's wireless (XP machine with an attached router) which just has WEP, I get limited connectivity. I just can't acess the internet! I wish I had packed my USB wireless connector, as then I could sort whether it's the internal card.

Any ideas?

I'm running Vista Ultimate, and it's an Intel internal card.

Bye for now

Harold

Message Edited by cataquet on 05-28-2008 02:29 PM
Message Edited by cataquet on 05-28-2008 02:31 PM

29 Posts

May 28th, 2008 18:00

Bumping the note, but providing more info this time.

When I am on the road, I have no problem connecting to external networks. However, in two instances where I tried to connect to home computers, I had a problem.

(1) On my network (54 Mbs with WPA-PSK and MAC restrictions), I could not connect. So, I got an old USB wireless key (Safecom), and it works a charm. So, why can't the internal card connect?

(2) On a trip abroad (the only other time I tried to connect to a home network), I could connect to the network, but I couldn't get access to the internet.That network only had WEP, but I didn't have my wireless key to see if that works.

The internal card is the Intel 3945ABG

Again, any idea??

Message Edited by cataquet on 05-28-2008 02:30 PM
No Events found!