Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2009 15:00

Vista / XP Networking and Printing Problem

My family has three PCs. One desktop running XP sp2, one laptop running XP sp2, and one laptop running Vista Home Premium. We all share our wireless internet connection through one router, an older Dell Truemobile 1184 Wireless Broadband Router. Before we got the third computer (the vista laptop), I had no problem networking the two machines together and setting up file sharing / printer sharing was pretty much problem free. Now that we have the third laptop however, while I can get all three computers to share files and be visible to each other over the network, I can't seem to print from the new Vista laptop we have.

The printer (which is an HP OfficeJet G85) is hooked up directly to our desktop that is running XP, and nothing is directly hooked up to the router other than the broadband modem. I have no problems printing wirelessly over the network from my laptop that is also running XP, so I'm guessing it may be a compatability or possibly a driver issue? Most likely between the printer and vista? But i'm not sure.

Any help or advice on this subject is appreciated.

30 Posts

May 12th, 2009 22:00

Have you checked your settings in Vista Network and Sharing Center? Your network should be private. Network discovery, file sharing, and public folder sharing should be ON. Printer will be off if no printer installed. I have password protected off, but your setup may be different.

I have a similiar network, and Vista plays nice with XP and network printers, but the settings are a little different. Good luck....It WILL work...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 12th, 2009 22:00

fishboy91s,

This may also help.

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

Rick

August 30th, 2009 17:00

I am having a similar problem.  I have checked everything mentioned above and it seems to be set up fine.  I can see the printer set up on my XP desktop from my Vista laptop but when I try to connect to the printer (Dell Photo AIO 922) I get a message that says the driver for the printer is incorrect.  It then takes me to a screen where it is looking for a .INF file.  I can't seem to find the correct printer driver to allow my XP desktop to print and my Vista laptop to print.

Any suggestions?

August 30th, 2009 18:00

Try to repair the connection by going to the Network Connections folder on your XP Laptop. Go to any folder on your XP Laptop then go to the Address Bar near the top of the window type Network Connections and press enter. Right-Click on the wireless connection then click repair. Suggestion 2: Go to

Start Menu>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt. Then in the window type PING then type the IP Address of your connection and press enter. Then check the statistics that are displayed. How many packets were lost?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 30th, 2009 20:00

jkessler14,

I would suggest you make a new thread. Please tell the make and model of the computer(s) and operating system(s). Also tell us how you're connecting the 922 printer to your computer(s), USB to host computer, wireless print server?

Dell Printers Forum

Rick

No Events found!