Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2009 19:00

Vista not remembering wireless network settings

I think this has been an on going issue with Vista. I'm not sure if it's been fixed but it's pretty frustrating to me. Maybe it's been addressed here and there is a fix or solution.

A few days ago I setup a Vostro 410 system for some people, it's using a Dell installed wireless PCI card and everything works fine except it does not automatically connect to the wireless we want it on. Seems that each time it's booted up they have to direct it to connect to the wireless we need it connected to and even setting it to preferred etc., remember this one and auto connect, it DOES NOT.

Anyone know about how to solve this problem? I am going over there tomorrow morning to have a go at trying to fix it.

Gene

1.7K Posts

February 9th, 2009 07:00

It sounds like it is configured to be a manual connection (e.g., the user has to specify when it connects).  You should be able to tell it to automatically connect to that network.

Open the network and sharing center, then click on the Manage Wireless Networks option on the left. In the new window right click on the entry for the network you want it to connect to and pick properties.  In that window, make sure the checkbox for 'Connect automatically when this network is in range' is checked.  You probably also want to make sure the checkbox below that, 'Connect to a more preferred network if available', is unchecked.

February 9th, 2009 07:00

Thanks Larry,

I had done all that many times, it was in automatic mode etc., like you wrote about. I finally had to remove the other wireless that it would try to connect to in order to get it to remember. I suppose if another wireless pops up in the neighborhood I'll be back in there getting rid of it also.

Thanks for your suggestion all the same.

Regards,

Gene

P.S. I still think Vista has a problem in this area.

No Events found!