Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2008 10:00

Vostro 1400 Vista random disconnect from wireless...more

Hi,

I have a new Vostro 1400 with Vista Basic. Laptop new from Dell 2 weeks ago. What has been happening is that is random disconnects from my wireles router a Linksys WRT54G version 4. (factory stock, never modded, Inksys latest firmware)
I also have 2 other laptops from 2 different manufacturers with XP SP2. I have had them for 2 years same with the router. I never had and disconnecting issues. So my questions are:

1) Is it the Vista OS on the Dell 1400 ?
2) Is the Dell 1390 wireless card ?
3) Should I have upgraded to a Intel wireless card?

I have disabled the firewall on Vostro and it did help some. I do not have any other software installed except the Dell factory image it came with. It disconnects 20 minutes or 2 hours. It can do it anytime in between or even longer 3 or so hours. I have all 3 laptops side by side and the other 2 never have disonnecting issue. I looked at the driver for the wireless 1390 and it has the latest. I tried different channels on the router still the same disconnect issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

12 Posts

January 4th, 2008 11:00

More info , no other security software installed on the laptop no Norton, no Macfee no any other security/firewall.

Chris 

12 Posts

January 4th, 2008 11:00

...more info I ran WPA2 personal...

12 Posts

January 4th, 2008 19:00

i have been searching. looks like it might be the linksys router not working with Vista. this is definitely something to do with Vista. it may work with other routers but by looking at the linksys forum looks like this particualr router does not like Vista too much.

i will change a couple of settings on the router, mtu, treshold, fragmentation, beacon, etc and i will report back.

Chris 

12 Posts

January 9th, 2008 15:00

I have made chages on the router and all is stable now.No more drops. So basically problem was Vista newer OS compatibility with older hardware in this case Linksys WRT54G v4.
It might be that a newer router or brand may not have this issue with Vista.
No Events found!