Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2013 18:00

Vostro 1500 / Unable to connect to web

I have a Vostro 1500 laptop with a Dell Wireless 1490 Dual Band WLAN Mini-Card by Broadcom. The driver installed is Version 4.100.15.5 dated 10/12/2006. I'm running XP Home SP 3.

Since I changed my security level on my Linksys WRT54G3 router from disabled to WPA2PSK, I have been unable to reconnect to the internet. Does anyone know if the card is compatible at this security level? Do I need to update the driver? And if I do, where can I get the download. Thanks Jay

1.5K Posts

May 9th, 2013 05:00

Hi Jay,

Dell Wireless 1490 card supports the WPA2-PSK security type for wireless connections.  You may delete all the existing wireless profiles from the system and create a new profile with WPA2-PSA security key. Please follow the steps below:

• Open Control panel, select and double click Network Connections.
  • Select ‘Wireless Network Connection’, right click it and select ‘Properties’.
  • Choose ‘Wireless Networks’ and select existing network in preferred networks, then click ‘Remove’.
  • Click OK.
  • Then select ‘Wireless Network Connection’, right click it, select and click ‘View Available Wireless Networks’.
  • Click ‘Refresh Network List’ to view available wireless networks. Select the correct network which you want to connect, double click it or click ‘Connect’.
  • If the wireless network is secured, it will pop up a window asking for the key/password.
  • Enter the correct Key then click ‘Connect’, wait for a while, you will connect to this wireless network.

Hope this helps. Please reply for any further questions.

2 Posts

May 9th, 2013 19:00

Thanks for the "road map". Unfortunately, I got stopped at the 3rd set of instructions. My setup does not bear any resemblance to what you say I need to do. I am unable to attach a screen shot of what I see under "Wireless Network Connection". Maybe I can send direct to you? Am I missing something. I'm running Win XP SP3 if that helps any.

Jay

1.5K Posts

May 11th, 2013 11:00

Hi Jay,

You may attach the screenshot on the forum itself. Below is the screenshot on how to attach files. To reply click on 'Use rich formatting'.

Once you click on the icon, a window will open. Click on 'Browse' to browse the image. Once the file is uploaded, click on 'Insert'

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist.

No Events found!