Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

September 8th, 2011 09:00

Vostro 3450 Wireless Not Working Now

Please tell me what my next step should be.  Daughter is at college with brand new Vostro 3450.  Was working on school network during summer but drops the connection multiple times during the day.  She runs the Troubleshooting which then allows her to connect and 30 minutes later the connection is dropped again.  The laptop works fine when connected to the internet via the ethernet cable.  Here is what has been done by the IT support at the school.

1 -  Deleted the Intel wireless utility as they thought it was "fighting" with the Windows software for control over the wireless. 

2 - Increased the power for the wireless card to "high performance".

3 - Reinstalled Windows 7 to eliminate that there is a software issue.

4 - Replaced the Intel Wireless Card with new part sent by Dell.

Now the IT supports recommendation is to "get a new system" and that perhaps the Vostro's wireless card is "not compatible with their network".  For Dell computers they sell the Latitude to the students.

My daugther likes the Vostro.  She doesn't want to give it up.  Wants the system to work.  She had the laptop during the summer session and had problems with connection.  The Windows software was reinstalled thinking there was a virus (although no evidence of one) and then she had no connection problems for the whole summer.  She came home for 2 weeks and returned  back to school and then the system would not work again.

I don't know what to do.  Can I buy a USB wireless adapter for her to temporarily use until I can figure out how to fix this problem.  Personally, I think there is a design flaw with the vostro.  Is there anything else I can have done with this system?

thanks Gidget

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 8th, 2011 09:00

Gidget,

A USB wireless adapter should work.

Virus program and firewall could block the connection.

Not sure if Dell Control Point is installed on this system. If so, make a system restore point then uninstall it and let Windows manage the connection.

If you get a chance, can you run Finding System Information REMOVE THE PRODUCT ID and post the rest of the information back here.

Rick

8 Posts

September 8th, 2011 13:00

Thanks Rick,

I don't have the laptop as it is with my daughter at school.  Once I get it I will post the system information as you suggested. Thank you again.

86 Posts

September 9th, 2012 14:00

1. update the drivers from here

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+Centrino%c2%ae+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Centrino%c2%ae+Wireless-N+1030&ProdId=3314&LineId=1784&FamilyId=1783

2. disable the power saving features under the power plan she is using. do this by:

1. open the current power plan (Start->Control Panel->Power Options) 

a. click on "Change plan settings" to the right of the plan that currently has the radio button selected. 

.b  click on advanced power settings.

c. click on the + next to wireless adapter settings.

d clock on the + next to power saving mode

e. on the battery power option, select maximum performance 

3. Right click on my computer and then select properties

a. select device manager on the upper left side

b click on > next to Network adapters

c. double click on the Intel Centrin 1030 entry

d. in the driver window that opens up, click on the advanced tab 

e. click on transmit power and set it to 5. highest.

No Events found!