Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2008 09:00

Vostro - wireless, can't get past homepage.

I've worked over 12 hours with tech support and my isp (comcast). Vostro is running XP, downgraded from Vista.  Dell Inspiron 9300 and Latitude, can access all of internet just fine. I've tried 128bit-WEP, 64bit-WEP and WPA, no success. Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas?

14.4K Posts

December 30th, 2008 11:00

Perhaps a bit more info on the exact problem would be helpful.

1.7K Posts

December 30th, 2008 15:00

Have you checked the Connections tab in Internet Explorer Tools, Internet Options? There may be unnecessary entries in the list. If you use wireless, you do not need any connection items listed.

4 Posts

The exact problem is that my Vostro 1710 can connect to the Comcast-Linksys WCG200-CC modem/router, but does not get to any websites past the first page. The computer has an intel 4965AGN Wireless-N.  I can do all functions online when connected by the land line.  I have two other laptops that function online wireless.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

4 Posts

Just checked, nothing in dialog box.

Thanks for the response.

14.4K Posts

The exact problem is that my Vostro 1710 can connect to the Comcast-Linksys WCG200-CC modem/router, but does not get to any websites past the first page. The computer has an intel 4965AGN Wireless-N.  I can do all functions online when connected by the land line.  I have two other laptops that function online wireless.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

If I am reading this correctly and I may not be but the way I am seeing this is you can only access the router setup page and not the comcast page is this correct? If this is correct it means you are only connected to the router and you are not connected to the internet.

The biggest cause is usually a firewall issue. Have you tried to temporiarly disableing the firewall?

What firewall are you using?

4 Posts

December 30th, 2008 16:00

Sorry for the confusion. I can get to my.yahoo page. The first page at Comcast. The first page at our pension administrator. But when I try and access a page from the sites 'main page.' That's it.  I have unistalled the firewall. I use McAfee through Comcast and ordered my computer without any firewall software. Also had the problem before I installed McAfee from Comcast.

I have a case open with Dell, but thought I'd try the forum, as have not had a resolution.

No Events found!