Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2012 09:00

WIFI problems on Dell xps 15 L521X

I got my Brand new xps 15 yesterday, It works fine, looks great, I'm overall satisfied with it. (even though it gets warm all the time)

Problem is, the WIFI doesn't work well at all, I'm 2 meters from my box right now, And I'm not experiencing any problems, but as soon as I get upstairs in my bedroom, my signal speed drops significantly, I can't even load a youtube video, I was downloading a game from steam yesterday, and the dl speed dropped to 6mb/s!! That's awful, If this problem can't be fixed, I'll be returning mine, and won't buy any other Dell product, I don't see how a laptop that pricey can have that kind of problems. ( because I heard I wasn't the only one, a lot of people have the same problem)

Anyways, if any of you have a solution to fix my problem (Like a Bios), I'd be really grateful.

Thanks !

(sorry for my english, I'm french)

27 Posts

October 14th, 2013 11:00

What do you mean another model, my story is that im still trying to get a refund out of them. Worst customer service ever! And my wireless card completely broke. Tried reinstalling windows without  wireless and now i wont be able to activate windows either. Wireless card sucks! Doesnt work at all!!!

2 Posts

November 15th, 2013 09:00

Dell have just released the 8.1 drivers for the XPS 15(L521x). Included in these are updated Killer WiFi and Synaptics touchpad drivers.

October 2013. Before that the fix was to download the official Qualcomm drivers at:

http ://www.killergaming.com/support/driverdownloadsupport

9 Posts

November 15th, 2013 11:00

Dell have just released the 8.1 drivers for the XPS 15(L521x). Included in these are updated Killer WiFi and Synaptics touchpad drivers.

October 2013. Before that the fix was to download the official Qualcomm drivers at:

http ://www.killergaming.com/support/driverdownloadsupport

Where is the link for this update ? I don't see any October 2013 update in the Dell.com support website at least in the Network section.

1 Message

November 27th, 2013 04:00

I have the same problem and Dell Technical support has confirmed it is a design fault as the Wireless card is to close to the antenna. Dell does NOT have a fix,but I managed to find a workaround that works great. Download WLANOptilizer and disable ''background scan''.Since then my wireless connection has been a lot better. No drivers resolve this either. I am a Desktop Engineer and can say that this solution is quite good.

9 Posts

February 1st, 2014 20:00

New Intel WiFi software update is available that's supposed to improve wireless connectivity.  I installed it last night and WiFi does seem better.

24 Posts

February 2nd, 2014 00:00

And soon the Easter Bunny is coming. We all shelled out upwards of $1700 for the XPS 15 L521X because it was supposed to be a top of line ultrabook, Two years later what we have is still the same defective piece of hardware that Dell sold us and TOLD us was fixed in 2012.

Bottom line - they should put and end to forcing their engineers and techs to lie about this model, admit they screwed up, and do a recall just like Honda would for defective brakes on a car.

Everyone who spent MONTHS (like I did, and many others did) sitting on the phone believing there was a "fix" right around the corner, being forced to re-install operating system and drivers and waste more and more time on the phone while techs overseas got paid to put us on hold and pretend there was a fix coming, while ALL the whole time they knew the problem was NOT drivers and NOT software BUT the unit itself, should be reimbursed for every penny.

I fought with Dell for months to finally get two of these returned and refunded over a WIDELY KNOWN admitted issue directly from Dell Engineers themselves that exists to this very day, and they made it so difficult to return these units that it is a crime.

And yet still they dangle the carrot in front of the donkey and get away with it. And people still believe two years later that there is a magical solution coming. 

Admit it - Dell produced a beautiful laptop with almost everything perfect; except that the WiFi malfunctions because of the design and they've never been able to fix it.

If it wasn't for the fact that after warring for months with them that they finally accepted my returns and refunded me, I would be screaming class action suit.

24 Posts

February 2nd, 2014 00:00

Screenshotted, so don't even bother trying to hide this one. It will go on YouTube.

37 Posts

February 2nd, 2014 11:00

I have bad experience with Dell too, around 4-5 units changed, once one has been sent to Anovo.uk to be "fixed" and came without screws, the back fan grill broken and scratched. Reported to Dell and finally agreed to refund. I have been dealing with waiting for refund from April last year, all the time providing me with tones of lies, even given twice reference numbers which are false.....just to get rid of me and to be out of warranty which will be next month...

It is a guy from India, director or whatever he is, VERY untrusted person Pradeep Prabhu Pradeep_Prabhu@Dell.com.   

He is not responding to my emails at all, Is the worse person I have ever dealt with. The laptop is sitting in wardrobe, I can not use it anymore......

THIS is DELL be careful.........

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 20:00

I had the same issue as '20BITS'.

I spent 4 x 2-4 hour tech support.phone calls & 2 x 4 hour tech support visits with WiFi card, motherboard and screen replaced each time.

WiFi signal still dropped out regularly at >3m from router and speed dropped 80% when it did manage to stay connected.  

I wish I could charge them for my time, I wasted a full working week of 2013 on this issue (and still have to buy/set up another laptop). I have finally got a refund, although even this took 6 weeks to process. I will never buy a Dell product again! 

February 16th, 2014 01:00

Having the same issue with my new XPS !!! Totally agree with you. For the kind of money we paid for it , you'd expect at least a decent wifi but it's really really not. I'd be surprised if they made any more sales on this product considering so many negative feedback on wireless connectivity issues. Hope they find a solution to it soon.

4 Posts

February 17th, 2014 16:00

Yea, I eventually broke down and bought a usb wifi dongle.  It is extremely disappointing but needed decent wifi, ya know :-)

4 Posts

March 8th, 2014 16:00

Thanks for that Micah. I did have a different wireless card however, and even with trying two other different brand cards during the Dell Technician visit it did not change anything...glad you could find a solution though.

I have arranged a return and refund now and purchased an awesome ASUS N series with the same or better specs, works perfectly straight out of the box, sensational screen and awesome built in Bang and Oulfsen speakers. Program multi tasking seems a lot smoother and snappier too. 

1 Message

I had this exact same problem and recently dell released a new version of their intel  centrino n6235 wireless card and it actually fixed the problem.  I am now able to get high speeds when far from the router.  Link to driver:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/xps-15-l521x?driverId=X8VGW&osCode=W764&fileId=3334146886&languageCode=en&categoryId=NI

4 Posts

Switched out for an ASUS N series now...perfect straight out of the box :emotion-2:

77 Posts

March 31st, 2014 21:00

2 years later and dell still has not helped out all of us affected by their incompetence! This is why I have sworn to divert all possible dell product buyers into buying other brands. 12 people so far.. dell screwed us over with cheaply made products full of faults, they gave us USB dongle and decided to look the other way. Dell is a cheap company that only cares about money and could care less about their customers.. thank you for nothing dell, you are a horrible company!
No Events found!