Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

August 8th, 2016 17:00

WLAN Radio Control E5470/E5570

Hi All,

This is my first experience with the 5x70 generation of Latitude laptops ( I've worked with a plethora of these buggers in the past, and have always been impressed with the quality of Latitude laptops - keep it up Dell!).

Here's my problem:

We have received our first shipment of E5470 and E5570 laptops, and rolled out Windows 7 on them using the most recent version of the Driver CAB packages available via "Dell Command | Deploy - Driver Packs for Enterprise Client OS Deployment". No errors are encountered during OS deployment and driver installation (all devices are installed/configured and msinfo32 displays no issues).

The wireless switch (function button and PrtScrn combination) does not appear to work to disable the wireless radio (which is frustrating as my user's switch between both GbLAN and WiFi throughout the day depending on whether they are in the field or office). I was hoping for a physical switch as was present in the 5530/5520 and 6440s that we commissioned in prior generations of deployment. The wireless interface functions as expected for connectivity, but i cannot find a way to turn it off without disabling the device in WDM or Network Properties (which is not an option for the non-admin users of the machines). Both computers arrived running BIOS version 1.3.8, and have since been upgraded to 1.8.3 (01.08.03 as per the version listed on the download page). I have verified that the WLAN option is enabled under the switch control option in BIOS and also that bluetooth enables/disables when the key combination is pushed, so the command to control the radio(s) is definitely getting passed to the machine. All other function and 'F' key combinations appear to work correctly (monitor switch, volume up/down, mute, contrast/brightness, etc.).

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what steps to take next. I have always been able to use function key wireless control on other computers (HP, Acer) without having to install any of the wireless card software packages (i have just installed the device drivers) and always had success with the physical WiFi switch on Dell Latitude models. As much as i prefer the physical switch, It doesn't appear to be an issue with the key combo - as previously mentioned, it controls Bluetooth. Is there a package that must be installed to support the enable/disable of the Wifi radio on these models? I do recall there being a required component to install on older HP laptops with media buttons, as for whatever reason it did not tie in properly with the Windows keyboard support. Is this the same kind of thing happening here perhaps? If so, what is the required component to get this up and running the way it should be?

Thanks.

4 Posts

September 19th, 2016 08:00

Having the same problem with our shipment of E5470. If you don't update to latest BIOS it works but once you update it stops working. Problem is that new Bios fixes a more sever problem of system shutting off when docking/undocking.

No Events found!