Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Y

February 26th, 2012 11:00

Weird wireless connection problem

Hi,

Recently I got a brand new E1200 to replace Apple Extreme Base station for my home wireless network. The router deployed just fine except one weird problem. While all devices (desktops, laptops, cell phones, iPad) can access the router, one desktop (Dell Optiplex DX280)  cannot see the router at all. The router network, even with default SSID, does not even show in the wireless network list, no matter how many times the list is refreshed. The wireless adapter (Dell TrueMobile 1300 USB2.0) is fine, since it picks up the router SSID when connected to another desktop. The stubborn desktop works just fine with previous Apple router and can see many networks around, like neighbors' networks.  Thinking that some other previously installed software interferes with seeing the router SSID, I completely wiped and reformatted HD and reinstalled fresh copy of WinXP - still the same result, the dektop works just fine with the Apple router, but still cannot see E1200 SSID. The router was reset to factory defaults and all access restrictions were removed. While all the devices see the default SSID and can conncet to the router with no problems, the stubborn desktop keepcompletely ignoring it. Any ideas what may be the problem?

Again, every single component - desktop (Optiplex DX280), wireless USB adaptor (TrueMobile 1800 USB2.0), routers (both Apple and Cisco) are functioning normally otherwise. It is the combination of Optiplex GX280 - TrueMobile 1300 - Cisco E1200 that does not work. Cisco and Dell tech support helplessly refer me to each other.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 26th, 2012 11:00

yaximik1,

What channel and type of security are you using in your wireless router?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 26th, 2012 12:00

yaximik1,

There are some adapters that like to use certain channels. Try channels 1, 6 or 11. I get the best reception from channel 11.

Did you install the drivers for the adapter on that system?

Rick

3 Posts

February 26th, 2012 12:00

I removed all access restrictions, so it is broadcasting and open. All devices see is as such and can connect - except Optiplex. The channel width is set to Auto (20 to 40 MHz), and channel is also on Auto. Optiplex network lists networks at channels 2, 6, 7, 9 and 11, so I guess it can detect any of permitted in US channels 1-11. It does not seem channel issue, since if adaptor is connected to a Compaq desktop with WinXPSP3, the E1200 router is visible and connectible, so the adaptor itself can detect whatever signal is sended by the router. It is something between the adaptor and Optiplex - but only pertinent to E1200, as Optiplex and the adaptor can talk to Apple Base Station at channel 2 (2.417 GHz)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 26th, 2012 13:00

yaximik1,

I know Dell tests the drivers to make sure everything is working. Those drivers may have worked for some time. What changed that the drivers no longer worked can be interesting, especially since the drivers worked for 2 years.

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

3 Posts

February 26th, 2012 13:00

No, it appears it was driver problem. I installed on Optiplex driver version 1.0.5.0, which was recommended (?!) by Dell website for its service tag. It worked just fine for a couple of years with Apple router - until I got Cisco E1200, which was not visible to Optiplex. Since the same USB adaptor could see the router with another (Compaq) desktop, I assumed that both the adaptor and the router are fine. Finally I found that Compaq somehow got 3.3.40.0 version, while Optiplex was equipped with 1.0.5.0. When I run on Compaq installer I got from Dell (for 10.5.0) and tried to use TM 1300 USB 2.0, Compaq lost all wireless capabilities, but when I rolled back to the 3.3.40.0 driver, everything was restored. So I run driver upgrade from Device Manager and got 3.3.40.0 on Optiplex. Voila! I got Cisco E1200 visible.

The problem it is impossible to find anything on Dell site. I got feeling that there is updated driver since several driver update sites listed this newer version, but did not allow to download it unless their driver managing crap installed first.

No Events found!