Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2013 04:00

Wifi problem XPS15 L521X - Killer Wireless-N 1202

Hi all,

My new XPS 15 L521X arrived this morning, its a very nice machine, but I am having one problem.

I have googled this, and found lots of other people having same problem.

I have the latest driver installed.

When I put my laptop within 2m of my router, I get 13mbps download speed, but as soon as I go further then a few metres, it slows don to under 1mbps.

I am sitting with it at my desk right now, and I am onl getting 0.5mbps. I have last years XPS15 model (my old laptop) right next to it, and that's getting 17mbps.

its only about 8m from my router.

I read that the killer wireless adaptor is the best one on the xps 15.

Does anyone know anyway I can fix this? as my laptop is useless at the moment.

I mainly use my laptop for managing databases and servers, and writing websites, and with the internet speed so slow, its almost useless.

Has dell found any fix for this yet?.

I cant even watch 720p youtube videos.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Corey Bacon

11 Posts

July 29th, 2013 09:00

Hi,

I ended up sending my xps back, and getting a alien ware.

But the tech guy did manage to greatly improve the WiFi speeds. Although not fully.

It involved something along the lines of removing the back of the laptop, and moving the bit of the power cable that's near the WiFi card over, so its not so close. He also put some black insulator between them.

That increased the speeds from under 2mbps, to over 12mbps. But it still wasn't getting the speed I should have been getting (around 17mbps).

As for the battery life, have you enabled switchable graphics (it should come ore enabled)?.

I used to get around 3 hours of watching a 720p movie, or using visual studio, etc. But it depends what your doing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Corey

3 Posts

July 29th, 2013 09:00

Hi,

I also got a dell XPS 15 and I have been having a similar issue with the Wifi card - stepping away from my router slows me down by a ton.... Did the tech guys just came by and fixed it?

Also, I have found that the battery life is pretty short - bellow 2hrs. Do you get the same thing?

Gabriel

3 Posts

August 1st, 2013 07:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply Corey. Last night I talked to support and I am going to get my battery replaced. I also cant get my WiFi above 7mbps but ill just ask support when I see them again.

Best,
Gabe

August 26th, 2013 22:00

Hi, 

I have recently got my XPS 15 L521X and I am facing the same problem with the wifi. Just now spoke with a dell technician and they have dispatched an antenna and the wifi card for replacement. Sandeep, I see that the Dell is aware of the wifi issue with the XPS 15 L521X laptops. Why is Dell not considering to fix this issue in recently manufactured/shipped models? As I can understand the pain of the customer to call the tech support and get hold of the right person to address the issue and frankly, no one wants their newly bought laptop to undergo a repair just within a week or so..Atleast from now on, please try to consider to address these issues before manufacturing/shipping the new models.

Thanks,

unlimitedawesomeness

1 Message

October 5th, 2013 12:00

Hi,

I'm facing exactly the same issue and unable to browse pages if I go away from router. I've purchased from Dell site.

Pls provide me the contact no. I'll call tech team and get the antenna fixed. 

Cheers

3 Posts

October 6th, 2013 15:00

Hi Seshi,

I ended up returning the computer... to many small issues for my taste... good luck thought!

1 Message

October 26th, 2013 09:00

I also just bought a new XPS 15 L521x. I was having the same wifi issues - even though the card was reporting that is was running at 300Mbps, speedtest.net claimed otherwise, about 5Mbps. Even right next to my router. My internet connection is 25Mbps download, so this is very poor performance.

On the positive side, I found a workaround for my specific case, and maybe it can help some of you that haven't RMA'd your laptops. Try setting your router/access point to a lower speed (i.e. 145Mbps or 54Mbps). Once I changed this from 300Mbps to 145Mbps in the router/access point, speedtest.net immediately showed speeds of 25-30Mbps for the laptop.

While this isn't the best solution, it is certainly worth a try, especially if you are out of the refund period. Since most people are limited by their internet speed anyway, dialing back to 145Mbps shouldn't be an issue. The only downside is that computer-to-computer activities (like copying shared files) will be slower. I'll probably end up getting another access point just for this laptop so I don't have to slow down all the other 300Mbps devices on my network.

For completeness, my router/access point is a Netgear WNR3500L - don't judge me, it was a really good Black Friday special ;-)

Now I just need to figure out why one of my USB ports stopped working after "upgrading" to Windows 8.1...

December 7th, 2013 12:00

I recently bought the XPS 18, and i am facing the exact issue, Killer Wireless-N 1202. I can't even surf the web because is so slow!!!! Can't browse network files either. I tried 4 different drivers both from Dell and from Killer, zero improvement. I read from the web that i had to turn off BT to get better wifi speed, i tried that as well, and also the BT stack is buggy as hell, sometimes I try to turn off the BT and the dialog just freeze up and had to force close it manually. 

Overall, I'm extremely dissatisfy with this Dell Tablet. Because without wifi (and no actual Ethernet connection unless I buy the dongle) this tablet is absolutely USELESS.

Please advice a fix, or I think I will have to return this unusable hardware!

1 Message

December 23rd, 2013 08:00

I just bought the XPS 15 (2012 model) with Windows 7 and am having the same type of poor or unstable WiFi performance.  Was Dell able to resolve your issue?

December 23rd, 2013 09:00

Hey, the solution is to do the following:

Go to Metro interface (start menu), go to Settings > Network > AirPlane mode > turn off Bluetooth.

Then you need to REBOOT. Then your wifi should be ok.

You must reboot for it to properly turn off BT, I had issues with Win8.1 when I turn off BT, it doesn't really completely turn off and gets stuck half way.

Is annoying, but it works.

For Windows 7, it you may or may not need to reboot, but just to be sure, just turn off bluetooth and do a reboot.

And no, Dell wasn't able to solve my issue, I solved it myself after troubleshooting it 4 nights in a row after work... *thumb down*

1 Message

January 5th, 2014 12:00

Hi all,

I just bought the XPS15 , this without knowing there could be any problem...

This is my 7th dell computer, i still have a latitude from 2002 (windows 2000) that is working properly.

not this XPS however !!! the wifi stuff does not work properly, exactly as described above.. i tried all the suggestions to solve the problem (no wifi if more dan 2 meter from router). nothing helps

i asked Dell to take back the computer. Cannot understand why they are still selling faulty computer while the problem seems to be quite 'old' if i check the internet.

next time i will first google 'DELL XXX WIFI problem, where XXX = type of computer) before placing an order

January 5th, 2014 20:00

Are you running Windows 8? is more of the problem with Win8 imo.

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2014 20:00

I've been experiencing the same issues with my XPS14 for what is now been 3 months. Dell took similar steps by logging in remotely to my laptop and doing an initial diagnosis. They then sent out a technician who replaced the wireless card and antenna (laptop lid), which didn't improve my connectivity speed of 1-2mbps.  After dealing with technical support for two months, Dell then sent me a brand new XPS14 and the hard drive crashed almost immediately. The same technician was sent out to replace my hard drive and the laptop worked properly for about 3 weeks (wireless connection speeds were still low, 7.8mbps but it was operational). I am now experiencing connection speeds of around 1-2mbps and the wireless antenna has failed on yet a second XPS that Dell has sent me.  After spending an hour on the phone yesterday and over 2 hours on the phone today and countless hours over the past 3 months; being transferred around, speaking with different managers who have put me off, and requesting an exchange system (which Dell tech support is making it as difficult as possible to get a resolution on), the nightmare continues. If you are still within your return period, I would recommend returning the system for a refund and save yourself the headaches of dealing with these ongoing issues.  I would advise against buying this laptop to anyone who is considering it.

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2014 21:00

I've been experiencing the same issues with my XPS14 (L421X) for what is now been 3 months. Dell took steps of logging in remotely to my laptop and doing an initial diagnosis. They then sent out a technician who replaced the wireless card and antenna (laptop lid), which didn't improve my connectivity speed of 1-2mbps.  After dealing with technical support for two months, Dell then sent me a brand new XPS14 and the hard drive crashed almost immediately. The same technician was sent out to replace my hard drive and the laptop worked properly for about 3 weeks (wireless connection speeds were still low, 7.8mbps but it was operational). I am now experiencing connection speeds of around 1-2mbps and the wireless antenna has failed on yet a second XPS that Dell has sent me.  After spending an hour on the phone yesterday and over 2 hours on the phone today and countless hours over the past 3 months; being transferred around, speaking with different tech support personnel and managers who have put me off, and requesting an exchange system (which Dell tech support is making it as difficult as possible to get a resolution on), the nightmare continues. If you are still within your return period, I would recommend returning the system for a refund and save yourself the headaches of dealing with these ongoing issues.  I would advise against buying this laptop to anyone who is considering it.

1 Message

June 13th, 2014 10:00

I have the same problem. From what I gather this is a problem that has happened at least since 2012. I am going to return my laptop and have email Costco to strongly advice them to stop selling this laptop.

No Events found!